Upgrading a Penn 117 (14/0)

Started by Alto Mare, December 29, 2012, 06:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Penn's Largest Reel Joins the Double-Dog Pack...
This one may be unique as I am sure that there aren't many who are as crazy as me that would risk destroying a brand new 14/0 plate. Yes, this is a new reel. Unfortuanely, the snow and the fire going got me in the mood to settle in with a new project. That new box was just too tempting to resist so I set my sights on the upgrade and got to work. Here are a few pictures...
Got the fire going at the crack of dawn in anticipation for the storm

Plenty of wood stacked nearby

Parts all layed out

Here is a shot of the new reel's insides; no grease what-so-ever on the metal parts

Here is a shot of the pocket that has been ground for the new dog

This one is a little tricky; it needs to be more precise than smaller plates that have been done in the past

The ones on the right are the new upgrades

Stainless steel dogs (compliments of Lee)

If you wish to do this yourself, wrap the gear with tape (as shown); it makes the job much easier and you can keep testing for fit

This stainless steel sleeve did not require any washers; there is no slack at all; nice and tight  

Set the clutch assembly in (including the new dogs) and gently set the bridge in place
Set the dogs in position, from the other side, and screw the bridge plate in

and here is the dogs engaging simultaneously

Proceed with the reel re-assembly

There are still a few guys questioning the positioning of the stack; this shot should clarify

Most of these larger Senators require spacers

Here is the finished beast...I mean reel...

Enjoy! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

harryk3616

hi  sal    great posting on the upgrade, your certainly a talented fellow,  great job !   great workmanship and excellent photography, enjoy using that reel.    and to you and your family a safe, peaceful happy new year.      your  pal    harryk

Cone

Beautiful reel and job, Sal. What are you gonna test the "beast's" drag on? Maybe hitch up the varsity football team and let them run for the goal?
You never cease to amaze me! Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

conchydong

That's friggin' awesome Sal! Great job on a beautiful classic.

Bill B

Beautiful work....can hardly tell the factory side and your side.....hope it snows some more over there ;D would like to see the next project...
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

George4741

Sal, you are getting pretty good at grinding sideplates. ;)  Really impressive work.
viurem lliures o morirem

Bunnlevel Sharker

Awesome! Now we really need those aluminum frames.......
Grayson Lanier

saltydog

Great work and a great improvement to an already great reel.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Penn reintroduced this reel and there are many using it today. We needed to be one up on them here ;D
Thanks guys! Glad you enjoyed it.

Bunnlevel Sharker, I hear you about the frames and I do agree with you.
The 14/0 is not the same reel as the rest of the Senators, most come with (5) frame posts, the 14/0 and 16/0 come with ( 8 ) posts.
Being narrowed, I believe this won't be a issue on a 14/0.

I've been reading some of your posts, you mentioned tha a 14/0 will not be able to bring in a monster, I will disagree with you on that.
As I mentioned before, if I ever get lucky with a monster on the end of my line, this is the reel I would want to be holding.
You need low gear to bring in monsters, this one has a ratio of 1.6:1 and a 6" diameter spool, that retrieves lots of line per crank.
Good luck finding a reel with those features.
Take care.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

Nice work Sal. I particularly like the Dremelling,you must have a very steady hand!
Those SS dogs look the part too, very professional ;)

PS love your wood burning stove.

Alto Mare

I'm glad you like the stove Tom, it's outside, in the back of my house . I started with a stone patio, then I built an overhang with sliders.  Things didn't go too well with my wife, when i installed the wood burning stove, she is still waiting for her kitchen.
I would have done it earlier, but I wouldn't be able to service my reels there ;).
You know, I can get that room up to 90 - degree when it's 20 on the opposite side of that glass.
Take care.
sal

Fish-aholic

You never fail to impress, Sal. Top work yet again!

Bunnlevel Sharker

I didnt mean it couldnt bring in a monster, i said it couldnt bring in EVERY monster. It has some impressive catches to it and im lookin to pic one up ;)
Grayson Lanier

raumati01

Nice work Sal, did you get the handle off that guy on ebay? I got some ss posts , rod clamp and bolts off him and his work was excellent. i bought 2 of these old beasts for a song a couple of months back and want to get one up and running again.

happy new year in advance to you all.