Upgrading a Penn 117 (14/0)

Started by Alto Mare, December 29, 2012, 06:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on December 31, 2012, 03:22:58 AM
I didnt mean it couldnt bring in a monster, i said it couldnt bring in EVERY monster. It has some impressive catches to it and im lookin to pic one up ;)
No, just one at a time ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: raumati01 on December 31, 2012, 04:54:37 AM
Nice work Sal, did you get the handle off that guy on ebay? I got some ss posts , rod clamp and bolts off him and his work was excellent. i bought 2 of these old beasts for a song a couple of months back and want to get one up and running again.

happy new year in advance to you all.
Thanks Raumati, yes the handle is from the same seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/POWER-HANDLE-FIT-PENN-REEL-10-0-12-0-14-0-AND-118-16-0-SILVER-/121034152227?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2e329923
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

raumati01

There's also a stainless steel main gear on ebay , at the moment I need rod braces and a new drag stack to get one on mine up and running.I've transferred all the best chrome etc to the other one for display.

Dominick

Sal:  That back room sure looks cozy.  It would be a nice place to sit and watch the snow come down with a bottle of Zin for company.  Some antipasti and maybe some lasagna. ;)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

basto

I have been concerned about the strength of the post frames on Penns, but to see PENN reintroduce a reel of this size "today" with an all post frame gives me more confidence in my 113h (40 years old) and my 309m(brand new) and I much prefer the original classic look of posts.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

john2244

Sal,

Just saw this post for the first time.  Great work on the 14/0.

John

Alto Mare

John, your kind words are always appreciated, thank you!
Yes, things can be hard to find at times.
Sal

Bryan Young

Very Nice Sal.  I didn't even see this...considering I was in the Hospital around when it was posted.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Thanks Bryan, means a lot coming from you ;)
What's going on bro, is everything good now?

Bryan Young

Health, I believe that no news is good news from my drs. :)

Work is slow and trying to find work to do. Reels, I'm swamped. Too bad I cannot take them to work to work on. Family is great. Taking a few days off since kids are on spring break.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Great work Sal - missed this one the first time around.
Your workmanship is unparalleled.
QuoteThat back room sure looks cozy.  It would be a nice place to sit and watch the snow come down with a bottle of Zin for company.  Some antipasti and maybe some lasagna.  ;)
Couldn't have put it better meself Dominick - especially with a season's worth of wood cut and piled outside.
Cracker post Sal, thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Thanks Justin!
You must be swamped at work, I hope you get caught up soon, we miss you around here.
Sal

Shark Hunter

Sal,
I wish I was one of your buddies that you could call me by name. That is a totally awesome upgrade.
You are the Man.
By the way, My Name is Daron.
You really helped me out last year with learning to rebuild these old pieces of fishing history.
I am headed out next week to catch some sharks. Wish me luck!
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Thanks Daron!
Don't forget the camera and be safe. Lots of luck to you.
Sal

Shark Hunter

Sal,
It that sleeve from electra mate? Alan says he doesn't have these. His stops at the 9/0. I would be willing to spring for one of those sleeves. They are 80 bucks on their site. I am assuming the sleeve is the same for the 16/0. I am gearing up to catch some sharks next year and the 14 can Get it done for sure. I frequent Sharks on the Sand.(Not near as much as here) These guys are ate up with it.(Like Me!) My Arsenal will be the Tiburon Extra Wide, A 9/0 with ss sleeve,12 and 14/0. Avets seem the reel to have for this sort of thing, but I'm sticking with old reliable. Makes it more Nostalgic and challenging. I am sure Lee can hook me up with some ss dogs to Double dog it!
Take Care my Friend!
Life is Good!