alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Avet SX MC Clicker NOT loud enough
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
January 20, 2020, 09:31:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avet SX MC Clicker NOT loud enough  (Read 3613 times)
eaguon

« on: December 30, 2012, 02:39:18 PM »

I just picked up a pre-owned  Avet SX MC and the clicker, when on, is hardly noticeable. Is this common on Avets? I have a Daiwa Saltist 20H and and a Revo Toro HS, that are really loud. Please advise. It was mentioned on another site to cut the spring and make it tighter. I don't want to screw it up. Somehow, I feel more comfortable with the advice from this website  Grin
SoCalAngler
SoCalAngler
Photo Group

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 04:08:26 PM »

You may need a new click washer, it has been a issue in the past for some.
akfish

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 06:56:53 PM »

SX clickers just aren't very loud, but before you try a new washer or springs, remove the grease from the clicker mechanism and see if it improves things enough. If it does, you can use Corrosion-X instead of grease to fend off corrosion.

Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska
eaguon

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 10:00:20 PM »

Thanks for the advice. Removing the grease from the clicker mechanism did the trick, even my wife noticed the improvement  Huh? Thanks again. Time to put together the essential Reel Tool Kit and Lubes  Smiley. I love this site.
mwardncsu
Striper fishing fanatic....

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 05:43:07 PM »

I know this is a very old thread, but in servicing my MXL collection this weekend I found I have a couple of the “old” style that uses 2 lighter springs (one on each side of the clicker dog), and one that just has a single, heavier spring

The heavier spring results in a louder, and “stronger” clicker - even after modifying the older ones by removing on spring and cutting the other in half and reforming the attachment point.

Interestingly, while the schematics show 2 versions - both with the plastic inserts on the frame - one that is has a straight slot and one with a bent/angled slot -  but some of the reels do not have the insert but rather just a mulled angled slot with a plastic washer on the outside behind the button and the inside.  I forgot to pay attention to the serial numbers to see if these milled in this manner were the newer ones out not.  I will say the older style with the straight slot are MUCH harder to engage / disengage the clicker
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 05:43:52 PM by mwardncsu » Logged

Run Shimano Tekota 500/500LCs and Avet MXL 5.8's for all my live-bait reels, and Shimano Stradic CI4+ spinning reels . Shimano Curado bait casters for casting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: