Avet SX MC Clicker NOT loud enough

Started by eaguon, December 30, 2012, 10:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaguon

I just picked up a pre-owned  Avet SX MC and the clicker, when on, is hardly noticeable. Is this common on Avets? I have a Daiwa Saltist 20H and and a Revo Toro HS, that are really loud. Please advise. It was mentioned on another site to cut the spring and make it tighter. I don't want to screw it up. Somehow, I feel more comfortable with the advice from this website  ;D

SoCalAngler

You may need a new click washer, it has been a issue in the past for some.

akfish

SX clickers just aren't very loud, but before you try a new washer or springs, remove the grease from the clicker mechanism and see if it improves things enough. If it does, you can use Corrosion-X instead of grease to fend off corrosion.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

eaguon

Thanks for the advice. Removing the grease from the clicker mechanism did the trick, even my wife noticed the improvement  ??? Thanks again. Time to put together the essential Reel Tool Kit and Lubes  :). I love this site.

mwardncsu

I know this is a very old thread, but in servicing my MXL collection this weekend I found I have a couple of the "old" style that uses 2 lighter springs (one on each side of the clicker dog), and one that just has a single, heavier spring

The heavier spring results in a louder, and "stronger" clicker - even after modifying the older ones by removing on spring and cutting the other in half and reforming the attachment point.

Interestingly, while the schematics show 2 versions - both with the plastic inserts on the frame - one that is has a straight slot and one with a bent/angled slot -  but some of the reels do not have the insert but rather just a mulled angled slot with a plastic washer on the outside behind the button and the inside.  I forgot to pay attention to the serial numbers to see if these milled in this manner were the newer ones out not.  I will say the older style with the straight slot are MUCH harder to engage / disengage the clicker
Run Shimano Tekota 500/500LCs and Avet MXL 5.8's for all my live-bait reels, and Shimano Stradic CI4+ spinning reels . Shimano Curado bait casters for casting.

David Hall

Love these old threads.  I'm working on a friends SX 5.3:1 MC, it was locked up and had two frozen bearings. After thouroughly cleaning and lubing the old style clicker with the two springs is still super hard to engage and disengage.

AlexB707

Just dug this old thread up in a search as I'm dealing with the same issue.

The clickers on both my Avet SX (older 5.3:1) reels sucked. One was functional but very quiet, and the other would sometime click quietly and other times not click at all. Apparently this is a common problem.

After a quick web search, I decided to try my luck fixing them. I opened them up, disassembled the clicker mechanisms (be careful not to lose the tiny springs!), and cleaned each part thoroughly. Then I noticed the problem... The clicker mechanism (stainless steel) rubs against the body of the reel (anodized aluminum). Not surprisingly, there was a little bit of corrosion - the aluminum surface was a little bit rough. (Design flaw? Why no Teflon washer?)

I hit the aluminum lightly with some fine-grit sandpaper to smooth it out, reassembled, and applied a little bit of Avet reel oil (not grease).

Now both clickers work like new. Maybe even better/louder than new. I plan to pay closer attention to the clickers and do the full teardown/clean job each time I survive my Avets instead of just giving them a wipe down and drop of lube.

It was 20-30 minutes very well spent.

I'm starting to wonder, though, whether that Avet oil will be sufficientto stave off corrosion where the dissimilar metals rub each other?

mike1010

Avet introduced a new clicker design for their star drag reels, and it is supposed to be brought into the LD reels over time.  It is plenty loud.