Penn Intl 975, 'freespool' not that free. Resolved!

Started by LUCC, November 17, 2009, 08:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LUCC

I have a Penn Intl 975 baitcaster that I purchased several years ago. It's one of my favorite reels, except for the past year. I always take good care of my equipment, rinse and lube after every trip. I have been having issues ever since I took the star drag side off to clean/lube the inners. When hitting the clutch release button the line does not release from the reel freely. You can actually put a 2oz piece of lead on the line, put in 'freespool' and the line will not move! There's no visible rust/corrosion on the outside of the reel. I took to a local shop, they replaced the bearing and the problem still existed. Another shop informed me they saw a similar issue with the same reel and they wound up having to give the reel back to the customer still functioning incorrectly and taking a $100 hit for parts.
Any info that you could lend would be great.
Thanks!

LUCC

LUCC

We'll I finally found out the issue with my reel after a couple hours on-line. The Internationals have an adjustable 3 level centrifugal casting control in addition to the spool tension knob on the handle side of the reel. From the factory the 3 lvl casting control is set to 0, which means only the tension knob on the outside of the reel controls the 'freespool.' When set to level 2 or 4 it slows down the freespool of the reel. Well somehow, when cleaning the reel, I must have enabled the cetrifugal casting control located inside on the left of spool (opposite handle side) of the reel. This 3 lvl centri casting control feature automatically brakes the spool while casting, used for heavier metals/rigs. It was set to 4, so when throwing an AVA 27/47 the jig didn't go too far. I adjusted the control back to the 0 setting, went outside and almost hit my neighbors house due to the renewed less restrictive freespool setting!!!
PS- I found this info in the 975's manual, go figure!!!  ;D

alantani

this is one of the best kind of posts!  thank you.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

LUCC

Quote from: alantani on November 18, 2009, 08:27:05 PM
this is one of the best kind of posts!  thank you.  alan
Great site alan, love the pics of the reels when you take them apart, very helpful!!!

I was referred to your site by Scotts B&T in NJ.