scrap rod build

Started by inhotpursuit, January 06, 2013, 10:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inhotpursuit

So i started a new rod build about 9 months ago i had a st croix rod with a busted tip and a tip from a 9' G loomis steel head rod which was purcased at a garage sale for 2 bucks after trimming and carefully lineing up the blank scraps i end up with a 7'4" 2 piece blank

the tip is a dark gloss black and the butt piece a matt blue not a problem it will get painted black

after purchasing some corks and eyes on ebay i proceed to making the handle

using a drill i contour the corks

and end up with this

next the blanks will be painted i am waiting for the guides i chose top of the line Si3N4 guides they will be the most expensive item at $40 set i decide i will try a black gloss bumper paint on the blanks and do a flame job on the windings .
I then epoxied the handles in place,

I then marked the position of the guides using an existing rod up against the blank and marked with a white crayon  and proceeded to whip the guides on using yellow power pro and this technique.

i used small plastic tie to hold the guide in place for the first wrap starting at the thickest section and sliding the tie down the blank for the next guide and securing it before the next wrap, i do use a small drop of super glue to keep the first wrap in place but be care full you need to be able to adjust the guides before epoxying in place.

this is the technique for the epoxy wrap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88b0DirJhG8&list=UU6Dctmwr2zflysVaH9rDr3Q&index=1

and the finished product

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

terrific,love the plastic tie trick.
can you post a pic of the rod under load pls.

Tile

Nice work. This is really a wrecks to riches rod.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Alto Mare

Beautiful work, Inhotpursuit. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Now that's HOT!
Great job,
Dom

inhotpursuit

Thank you every one, Wallace i will put the rod in a holder and tension it when the damn rain around here stops ;)

wallacewt

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Bryan Young

Very nice flame job.  Looks too cool to fish.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cone

I love the flames! I'm going to have to learn how to do some of this one day. I've had too many irons in the fire but a post like this makes me want to try. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Wael

beautiful work of art. I wish to start making or renewing one of my rods like this.

Brendan

Nice job, new meaning to Hot Rod. Hope the rain stops so you can try it out.
Tight Lines, Brendan.

steelfish

Quote from: inhotpursuit on January 09, 2013, 06:52:51 AM
Thank you every one, Wallace i will put the rod in a holder and tension it when the damn rain around here stops ;)

awesome flame job, I guess the rain never stoped
The Baja Guy