Daiwa Saltist 6500H : Service Tutorial, Upgrades and Maintenance Tips.

Started by johndtuttle, January 08, 2013, 02:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Quote from: HughMura on June 03, 2014, 01:10:02 PM
Absolutely. I've owned a Penn 720 since 1969 and always took it apart to clean it. With the Saltier, I did wind up stripping the head on 1 of 3 screws you warned were tight. Any fix? I just retightened the other 2 and left it alone. It turns out the set of PH screwdrivers I was using were cheap, soft metal. Can you recommend a good set of tools for future repairs?
Thanks.

Yep, I ended up buying a quality tool just for those as well. They are small phillips but need a hardened tip and a little fatter handle for grip. No advice on a particular type. I just headed down to the hardware store and bought one more expensive than the other junk.

The allen screws on the body I ended up cutting across with a sharp flat head screw driver with some taps from a light mallet. Heads are so soft they strip easily too.

Bryan Young

Yup, for those tiny phillip screws, the are a pain and strip easily if you are not using a phillips screw driver that fits perfectly.  I got lucky...my had a bigger handle and flat sides that helps a lot.

Those allen heads are very shallow.  It's metric.  Take it slow and you will not have a problem.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

exp2000

I see you have the handle gap model ;) 

Seems that Daiwa had a run of these before the fault was finally corrected.

Wolli

well known problems with several Daiwa Reels.. The troubles are too much loctite.... Sometimes its really not possible to remove the screws without damaging the heads. But with this little trick its easy to do:
What you need is an electric soldering iron and two bits of same size. Put one bit in the soldering iron and the other in the bit handle. Heat the soldering iron and hold the bit for 10-20 minutes in the head of the screw. The loctite softens and than you must screw very quick. The loctite hardens very quick and you have to heat the screw again.
Have opened several Dog Fighs this way. But take care and wear strong gloves. The reel body becomes very hot!!! Can you calm down, no damage will occur to the reel or paint! Had last week two Z6500HDF for service and it took more than one hour to release all cover screws...
Have confidental info that Daiwa removes such screws in same way....

Good Luck
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

exp2000

Quote from: Wolli on July 31, 2015, 11:29:02 PM
Have confidental info that Daiwa removes such screws in same way....

Good Luck

No disrespect intended, but I seriously doubt that any Tech is going to spend that much time on screws as a standard approach. A mini-torch would get the job done in seconds.

However. the handle end cap that incorporates the screw is plastic on the Saltist models and it's  mock chrome finish turns green very easily.

These reels could be great but are let down by poor quality control in many areas. Pitty, as I actually own one and have given it up as a poor investment for the moment. But I am slowly accumulating a few wrecks :)

johndtuttle

Quote from: exp2000 on August 01, 2015, 10:24:32 AM

These reels could be great but are let down by poor quality control in many areas. Pitty, as I actually own one and have given it up as a poor investment for the moment. But I am slowly accumulating a few wrecks :)

I've told more than one company if they built this exact reel with a quality clutch and gears the spinning reel world would beat a path to their door. It would then be the near equal of one of the original Saltiga Expeditions, a legend that should have never been discontinued.

There is nothing wrong with the design, just the quality of the parts.

steelfish

this is the reel of choice of 80% guys fishing in Mexican water from shore after the rooster fish and big Jack crevalle

great post John
The Baja Guy

Glos

Quote from: johndtuttle on September 10, 2015, 04:10:33 PM
Quote from: exp2000 on August 01, 2015, 10:24:32 AM

I've told more than one company if they built this exact reel with a quality clutch and gears the spinning reel world would beat a path to their door. It would then be the near equal of one of the original Saltiga Expeditions, a legend that should have never been discontinued.

Quote* (15 October 2017) Daiwa apparently understood that low grade gearing with vague"Digigear xx" logos won't cut it anymore for the informed anglers. A new range of mid priced reels is coming, where they specifically state that the gear is "machined A7075 aluminium for durability". I'll be examining the ones without a mag-seal first in the near future. Thank you, smelly fishos, for responding to factual reviews and voting with your wallets. You made this happen.
There is nothing wrong with the design, just the quality of the parts.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.