penn 4/0

Started by mechanicpsyco, October 21, 2017, 11:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mechanicpsyco

Picked up and oldie Penn 4/0 from flea bay.  Fished it today and I am surprised how it casts.  Question, this is the old metal stand with posts, can I use other frames with this?  It has black sides if it matters.
I was looking at my longbeach 68 spool, would be nice to build a wide, has anyone ever done this?

RowdyW

Old School. You just need a 113HLW stand & posts to go with that spool. A 113HLW Accurate or Tiburon frame will work too. There is no upgrade for the side plates though. But you are still left with a slow ratio geared reel. A better conversion would be to narrow it with a Longbeach 66 spool, stand, & posts or just get a LB 66. 113 ratio is 2.0 & the LB 66 is 2.4. There is a way to convert a 113 to 2.4 (me) or 2.5 (Sal). But it is more work & parts then just a gear swap.           Rudy

mechanicpsyco

Actually, the size and line capacity works for me right now.  The base and post frame is rough.  I just wanted to know if I can go to the later model full frame or half frame that Penn produced.
Thanks!

RowdyW

The full frame that Penn produced is aluminum & made for the 113H (maroon or red plates.) It's not made anymore and expensive on the used market. The later 113 & 113h half frames are graphite & the bushings for the side plate screws pull out all to easily. The drags in your reel are not strong enough to twist the frame you have now. If you are in the mood to modify a reel of this size then pick up a 113H. The mods available for that reel could keep you broke with all that's available for it.

mechanicpsyco