Penn Long Beach 65 bearings

Started by Noviceman, October 21, 2017, 09:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noviceman

Hello from Wisconsin again.....taking apart my first 65 and surprised to not find the usual ss ball bearings....question is...how do you tell if they are ok and will I gain much from buying new ones??? 

RowdyW

With the reel still assembled try lifting on the spool to see if you have much up & down movement it has (which I doubt). When adjusting the left side bearing the spool should have .0025 to .005 side to side movement. Don't tighten it up against the spool. It is not an adjustment for cast control.           Rudy

Noviceman

Its all torn apart and soaking now...will put together and see.....Are those really bearings or bushings or ??

Gfish

Bushings that are, IMO, improperly called bearings.
Maybe try this'n too: take the spool (by itself) n' stick it ona single bushing, hold it by the bushing vertically, spin the spool and see how much "wobble" you get on the spool. Lota wobble=replace. Keep in mind it could be the spool shaft that's excessively worn, if too much wobble.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

handi2

If the spool isn't rusted i bet the bushings are still good.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oc1

Steel on brass or steel on bronze bushings can work as well a steel on steel ball bearings under optimum conditions.  The condition of the bushing and journals or the condition of the ball bearing may be more important than which system you have.  Bushings and journals last longer then ball bearings.  Bushings and journals require less maintenance than ball bearings.  But, ball bearings are cheap and easy to replace.  Bushings can be re-sleeved but it's difficult.  Journals (spool shaft ends) can be resurfaced but it's difficult and you have to re-sleeve the bushing at the same time.
-steve

Noviceman

oil or grease in bushings??    thinking oil?  have cals, penn blue and reelx...

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Ron Jones

I have used lots of Reelx on bushings. Works just fine.
Ronald
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Noviceman

mo65

Quote from: Noviceman on October 22, 2017, 02:39:59 PM
Oil or grease in bushings?

Use oil if you want the spool free...but I have used grease to tame those ones that like to over run. It can help when learning to cast these things. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Noviceman

Have never tried to cast one of these kinds of reels before.......level winds all my lift but these are new....going to try a squidder 140 and the 65....Sure I will be untangling a lot of mono.....

Crow

I had my first "bait caster" when I was about 10.........I'm 69, now, and STILL carry a crochet hook in my shirt pocket ! Those work very well for pickin' out the tangles !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Rancanfish

That's a great idea.  I am sitting here looking at my wife's knitting bag, hmmm.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.