UPGRADING A PENN 49

Started by Alto Mare, January 13, 2013, 05:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

The 49 is a nice reel, but the gear sleeve just doesn't hold up.
The pressure from the gears on this reel is just too much for the bridge sleeve to handle, so I decided to give it a go on trying to beef it up a bit.
I'm using the bridge from the 349, part # 3-349

I startet by removing the ring from the plate and enlarging the hole by 2.5mm, to accept the new sleeve

This bit will make the job easier

I also enlarged the ID on the main gear and drags by the same 2.5mm.
I can't tell where the metal washers are from, I had them in one of my boxes.
I still had to customize them to fit.

I decided to use a better tension spring, so I had to do a little shaving on the plate for clearance.
The bridge on the left is the original

I must really like you guys, I had to destroy a good bridge for this project

Here is the new 49 with the 349 bridge

The holes on the 349 bridge don't line up with the 49 plate.

I was only able to install (3) screws on plate.
This is not a big deal, we're at an early stage with this.
I'm sure it can be modified by drilling and tapping again, I didn't do it because the new hole needs to be 1/16" away fro the existing.

This reel is working nice and smooth now, even with (3) screws on the bridge.
I could actually fish it as is, if I wanted to.

The bottom line is that the 349 bridge will work in the 49!

Enjoy it for what it's worth.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

Fantastic!

I don't own one, but I really like this reel. I know that Lee uses the 113H SS gear sleeves on his 349s, that would be a great add to the mix. This reel uses the 501 stand and posts, or more correctly the 501 uses the 49s, so putting Newell parts on it would be sweet.

Another fantastic conversion my good man!! BZ

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 13, 2013, 05:17:52 AM

I must really like you guys, I had to destroy a good bridge for this project
Sal

Sal, we really like you, too! ;D 
Your project looks promising.  I also think the standard gear sleeve is wimpy on the 49.  Your work may even encourage others to do similar mods on other reels.  Thanks.
viurem lliures o morirem

john2244

Nice work Sal !!   I love reading about your various projects you share with us.

Thank you,

John

Alto Mare

Yes George, this is a good upgrade. It's not just about the sleeve, also the post. I've seen my share of damaged 49 bidges,
some with rounded tip and some with lose posts on the plate. This is a nice reel with some good features, I  like the 6 frame posts. Being so narrow, it will be very hard for the frame  to twist under load. As you already know the drags are almost identical to the 114H.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: john2244 on January 13, 2013, 06:01:33 PM
Nice work Sal !!   I love reading about your various projects you share with us.

Thank you,

John
Thanks John!

redsetta

Great work Sal - thanks for sharing.
Particularly appreciate the drawings.
Always something new! ;)
Cheers mate, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Cone

Sal, I'm beginning to doubt your a mason/contractor. I think your a Penngineer!  ;D  I'm always amazed at what you think up. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

arrowslinger

Wow that gives me something to work towards, we put the 49's through hell and until I came on here just replaced them! Thanks for getting it back out for us to see. I actually have a 349 that is just parts, maybe I'll follow your info to one of my wore out 49's. Thanks!
Any mistake is just another opportunity for success USMC!

Keta

The 349 and 349H is a slower but much stronger reel, don't loose the parts they are getting hard to find.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Yes it is , but don't underestimate the 49 gears. Take a closer look above at how thick the wall of that gear is.
Groves for the eared washers on main gears usually go to the edge of the wall, on smaller gears there isn't anything left, on the 49 there is still 1/8, just an obsorvation.
Not to get off the subject here Lee, as I mentioned it to you at an earlier time, I like the 114H narrow much better than the 349.
I believe it's a much stronger reel. The 349 and 49 are 1/4" narrower than the 114H, but everything else is very close. The hardware on the 114H is much beefiier.... we need 3.25:1 on that reel.

Keta

Yup.  And parts for the 49 and 114H are far easier to find.  If it wasn't for this board my 349s would still be in a box gathering dust due to missing and worn out parts.... 2 of them were reels others gave me for parts when spools became almost impossable to find.

If you can post a photo of the mods you did to the 15-49, I think I know where we can find a SS one.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

The brass drag washers must go if you plan to fish with one of these reels. I opened up a pair of them recently and found the washers deformed from severe loading against the gear sleeve on one of them. The gear sleeve post felt solid, though so I upgraded with HT-100s and s/s metals and buttoned it back up.

I know "stock sucks" but this reel will be sold for the proceeds to go to Discover Fishing.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

I mentioned above that the 3-349 bridge needed some modifications.... non are needed.
I was able to install it and have the four screws set in.

all four screws need to be lose and tightened gradually.
The spacer sleeve needs to be a little longer, I used a piece of a 1/2" copper pipe, it fits perfectly.

The reel is working nicely.

Lee, you asked to check the stainless dogs, I was able to use it but it will need some adjustment.
I needed to bend the tail a little, it wasn't disengaging, it also needs to be a little longer.
I did send you some, let me know if you need some more.

here is a shot of the dog engaging

and disengaging

This is now a much better reel,  it could really use the upgrade.
Sal

harryk3616

Quote from: Cone on January 14, 2013, 12:28:02 AM
Sal, I'm beginning to doubt your a mason/contractor. I think your a Penngineer!  ;D  I'm always amazed at what you think up. Bob
yeah  cone,   sal has some concrete ideas