Shimano baitcaster help please

Started by zaspook, January 18, 2013, 06:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaspook

My son has a Shimano baitcaster freshwater reel model number unknown. It has royal blue side plates and only says 8 ball bearings. He has removed all screws, handle and drag, but can not get the side plates to come off. He is trying to get it apart to clean and check pawl. I would be thankful for any help.

UK Ron

Hi, there may be another screw securing from the back of the side plate, remove the spool and you should be able to tell, usually a small + head screw.

Zimbass

If he can't get the side plates off, he will not be able to remove the spool.

It is odd that the Shimano does not state what model it is. Never come across one with no model detail.

Are you able to post a photo ?
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Ken_D

Hello. Shimano is set up with a "help line" at irvine CA...with a 1-800 number. Why not give them a call. Number's on their website.

Many of those bass reels rely on smoke and mirrors to get the plates off. Youtube has many bass Shimanos showing.... possibly one of those will be it.  Something to do with how the star is turned, and a twist and a pull.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=shimano+reel+tutorial&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&rlz=&redir_esc=&ei=O9P6UNGQNq7viQL8qYGwBg

Nessie Hunter

Thats the right side plate!!!

Take off the left side plate and look for screw under Right end of spool (near Pinion gear area)..
If none there look near level wind (higher toward top) for a screw that goes all the way through (May be Level Wind guide shaft).....

If we dont have a model name/number its hard to guess, but those are the "likely Suspects"..
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Jayce

hi,

Can you post a pix of the reel.  For confirmation of the model.
I dont recall shimano has a blue Baitcasting reel or it might be a shimano budjet reel or an old model

Some that come to mind are abu garcia bluemax