international 50T - written by kamu !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by alantani, December 08, 2009, 11:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGB

The 117DN-50 should just drop in. It replaces the 117d -50 which is HT100 which replaces the HT100 drag/pressure plate that replaces the original asbestos hard disk  and pressure plate. I just updated 2 50W reels with the 117D HT100 and it went smoothly.
I'm not sure how much different the performance is with the 'dura drag' material over the HT100. Coarser weave  and slightly smaller drag diameter. In either case lots of drag pressure that is smooth.

Jim N.

Loolee 3

Thanks for this info and correction.  I was wondering why this looked so much like my plain 50's.  Great article on rebuilding the drag!

GT

I am about to replace the absetos drag washer with the dura drag one.

The 117DN-50 just arrived but I have a doubt... did I also have to order the 7-50 floating drag washer or I can use the one used with the absetos drag?

The one that i have is a metal washer not in bronze like the ones on 115L.

Thanks,
L.

kamuwela

you will need the drag plate its metal and screws to the spool. i diddnt see it on the schematic. do you have the original plate?

GT

I changed the old absetos drag washer metal with its stone like (absetos) drag washer) with this one

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/parts/117dn_50.jpg

As you can see there are no screews on this thing... instead of the four screws that where on the absetos drag.

The reel have been completely rebuild (I also packed the ball bearings with grease - I finished the yamaha grease and I used Cal's is that a problem?).

I also added the 5th belleville washer to do the config that you stated in your  rebuild ((())

The reel seems to be a little less smooth than before but it works.

What do you think?

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

kamuwela

was there a metal plate or disc with the old drag washer? the most recent 50t i did had the plate screwed to the spool then the drag spring then the drag washer you have facing the spool. can you take a few pics for us? if it is not as smooth try and reconfigure the bellevilles and see if that changes anything.

GT

This is the reel

This is the original absetos disk with its original metal washer

Opened inside

The new dura-drag drag washer outside 117DN-50

The new dura-drag drag washer

The new dura-drag drag washer inside with the original spring

the original floating metal washer

The reel has a problem, even if I remove the fifth bellville washer it does not come as smooth as it was and also I noticed another thing.

When I increase the drag near the strike position the reel becomes hard as hell to turn.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks a lot,

L.

kamuwela

the side plate bearings need to be changed. im sure its the right one but change both. when playing with higher pressures the bearings take a beating. the more you increase the drag the harder it gets? if yes then they are the culprit.

Robert Janssen

Quote from: kamuwela on July 24, 2012, 06:51:06 AM
the side plate bearings need to be changed. im sure its the right one but change both. when playing with higher pressures the bearings take a beating. the more you increase the drag the harder it gets? if yes then they are the culprit.

May I differ, or at least modify that somewhat?

No, if the bearings were fine before one started rearranging things, and they are not fine afterwards, then they are not the culprit.

Increased turning resistance is in and of itself in this case completely normal; a result of increased axial pressure brought upon the bearing. It does not immediately mean that a bearing is defective.

Really, it may be preferred to have another look and ascertain that the other things were done correctly, not leastly that the belleville spring washers were installed in the correct order.

Granted, I have no idea what yours look like; maybe its old and nasty and the bearings are completely ruined to begin with.

I gotta go.

kamuwela

99% of the time when its hard to crank its the right side plate bearing. if the resistance increases as you ramp up the drag then the bearing is going bad. in other words the more you give it the harder it gets to crank. have the bearings ever been changed? those reels were first made in the late 60's and early 70's. i would put my money on the bearings. ive done a bunch of these mods and they crank like butter. reset the bellevilles to ()() and see how it cranks i bet if you set the drag to max it is still hard to crank.

GT

Thank you guys!

Some questions:

- the bellville washers are all equal? I mean I had 4 installed and to me they are the same piece, the only thing that changes is the orientation, am I right?

- the stamement (()) means that I have to put one by one in the pinion in this order ) then ) then ( then ( so that when I look the pinion they are (())?

- The first thing that I want to try is to put the old drag washer back in place and see if I have the same problem again or something went wrong while re-assemble the other things.. what do you think? Maybe that new drag washer isnt correct for that model or has to be installed in another way.

kamuwela

you got it, i say in out in out refering to the curve of the washer. try the washers the drag can only go one way, facing the metal  disc and dont forget the spring.

GT

Tried all the three with no success.

1) Tried to put the old drag washer: seems to go but when I turn hard the pre-set of the drag it is almost impossibile to move the lever drag.

2) took a look to the bearing and they seem to be perfect.

3) I have a doubt i did not put all the pieces the right way when I put everything back on on the first rebuild.

L.

kamuwela

set the washers like this ()() then swap the spool bearings with the side plate bearings then see what happens. ill bet my pay check  on the bearings.