international 50T - written by kamu !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by alantani, December 08, 2009, 11:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT

Sorry kamu, I did not get what you want me to do.

Can you please explain in more detail? (I'm Italian)  ;)

GT

Could not work this out.

Can you suggest me someone I can send the reel to get it repaired?

(better if here in Italy).

Thanks

kamuwela

i am thinking you have a bad pinion bearing. lets try and switch the bearings around. try using the spool bearings in the side plates. just trade side bearings with the spool bearings. next lets put the washers back how they belong ()() this will help in troubleshooting the problem.

saltydog

That would work on the handle side bearing but not on the left side plate bearing as it is a different size.The right way is (()) not))(( if you do this it could destroy the spool bearings because the load would be placed on the Ball bearings shield.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

kamuwela

l (()) the curved side faces the bearing, there are many ways to set the belleville washers, just make sure the flat side faces away from the bearing.

Augie3000

Great tutorial Kamu.  I have four International 50TW's.  I am researching how to give them a cleaning and maintenance.  Is this the right tutorial?  Will they be similar to this 50T?  Thanks again.

Augie

kamuwela

it will work they are almost identical. good luck and dont be afraid to ask questions.

dartracer

Howzit, I just found this awesome forum and would like to thank everyone for sharing your knowledge and experiences.  I'm attempting my first reel overhaul on a 130st and already got stuck on the dismantle.   Does anyone know how to remove key no. 50 part no. 50 - 130S "SHIELD".  I can't figure how to pry it off without causing any damage.   Thanks

Tightlines667

Get 2 large flathead screw drivers. 
Insert one on each side under the shield.
Twist and gently pry each one at the same time to work the shield up and free of the shaft.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

dartracer

Thank you Tightlines666!   Your screw driver trick worked perfectly.   From there I kinda got the touch and wasn't too worried of damaging the reel during the dismantle.   I can't wait to see how the reel will perform after I clean off all the salt and old grease (nasty).  Thanks again.

ohfishalee

Quote from: Norcal Pescador on January 27, 2011, 05:01:10 AM
Kamu or Alan or -
I'm rebuilding an International 50 and it has the original asbestos drag washer. Should I go with the 117DN-50 Dura Drag or the 6/1-50 HT-100? I'm not expecting to use the reel more than about 6 days a year for tuna, etc., and it will be loaded with 130# spectra. The reel looks great inside with no evidence of salt water intrusion and the drag plates are fine.
Also the spool bearings are good; pulled the seals, cleaned, lubed with reelx and made a sleeve. Will probably get new main bearings.

Kamu, thanks for doing the tutorial! 8)
Rob

I have a Penn 80w International circa 1982 and am considering a rebuild/upgrade as follows:

- I have seen a frame upgrade on Cal Sheets website that I am considering.
- Drag material (once I get the reel completely open to determine what kind).
- Spool Sleeve advice needed - what is the benefit of such a sleeve?

All questions answered - reel is in service and performing well!

steelfish

I just finished a Penn international 50T II (2 speed)
and everything is fine and all, but the curve or the jump form strike to full is pretty high, I havent measured with a scale but I calculate 3-4# at strike and at full I can barely strip some line 10-12#, I could be wrong on the numbers but what is true is that seems like if you want to fish 15# at full then strike drag might be unusable cuz its really low like 5# I guess, if you want 10# at strike then when put in full the reel feels like locked all up.

its that normal in this kind of big game reels?

beneville config is like this () ()

The Baja Guy