Don't you just hate it when...

Started by Ruffy, September 10, 2020, 12:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffy

You get a reel together, it looks really good, but it just won't work  :'(

Got this CV-X for cheap, but the handle knobs were busted. I've serviced it, installed carbontex and smooth drag steel washers, and have been looking for a handle. All I could find was the newer bent style handles, so I took a punt on one with a genuine daiwa swept star, both second hand and in line with what I paid for the reel. Unfortunately the new star does not fit, both the star complete is too deep and impedes being done completely up, while the threaded area in the star is too deep as well and as such needs to be done up into the drag range to fit the handle on. I can put it all together, however it is at a specific fixed drag somewhere in the middle of the range. Does look like it will be good as a back up beater reel for visiting friends/family.

Back up plan now is to bend the arms on the original star and see how we go...

Cheers,
Andrew

Ruffy

Plan B - bent original star, now I have drag range. Now I just need a hooded nut, the one in the first photos is from an Abu 6500 and just a bit short.

Cheers,
Andrew

steelfish

nice work, nothing wrong with bending the stock star to make room for a swept handle.

something similar happened when I trying to install a power handle to my shimano calcutta 400TE, the handle for the trinidad 12 was perfect but was an offset handle and it hit with the star so, I bent the ends of the star and problem solved

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17967.0

then I when to test it with a nice spanish mack
The Baja Guy

mo65

Nice work! I had to bend a star to work with this newer type handle I installed on my CC Squidder. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Ruffy

Thanks gents! I was a bit hesitant to bend a standard star, and you can see some creases now on the anodising on the inside radius, but above all else I have a functional reel!

Mo, that has to be the first squidder I've ever seen set up baitcast style! How do you find it? What are you throwing with it?

Cheers,
Andrew