Coastal and Regal XIA

Started by LocalHero, January 27, 2013, 02:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LocalHero

I'm wanting to service two Daiwa reels I have.   They are the Coastal 2500 and the Regal XIA 3000.    They aren't super expensive reels and the local shop wants $20 labor plus whatever parts so I thought I'd do them myself.   I can't find just a simple guide to servicing these reels... is there one?   

Thanks,
John
Charleston, SC

alantani

here is the schematic for the coastal http://www.daiwa.com/PartsDiagram/PartsDiagram/COASTAL2500-4000.pdf

and here is the regal xia 3000  http://www.daiwa.com/PartsDiagram/PartsDiagram/RG1500-4000XIA.pdf

the bail springs will give you the most trouble. best not to take the bail apart.  just hose it down with aerosol corrosion x and blow out the excess with compressed air.  when you work on spinners in general, you have to resist the temptation to crank the handle when the rotor is off.  when the rotor is off, the pinion gear is not locked into place in many spinning reel designs.  the loose pinion gear can shift and you can damage the main and/or pinion gear in this manner.  not that i've ever done that.

most everyone here know that i do not like working on spinners.  it is impossible to keep up with design changes.  it seems like things change every 2 years.  the best thing in would recommend is to buy the $20 daiwa sweepfire and practice on that one.  the main thing is to pack the bearings with grease and change out the felt drags to carbon fiber. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

LocalHero

Thanks for the tips.   
The Coastal schematic especially looks pretty distorted even when printed and may be hard to follow but I have a cheap reel I bought at a garage sale that I can practice on.  I'm not sure it's a Daiwa tho.

I can figure out where to find Corrosion X but will I need to send off for replacement parts like the carbon fiber drags?   Also, will those drags come with instructions or will they be an exact match and switch out part for part?

On the Coastal, the only thing that seems to be not working is the anti-reverse mechanism.   It works sometimes and not others so it probably needs just cleaning but might need a new part. 

Do you recommend any particular lube(s).    I have a small tube of Penn Precision Reel Grease but probably only enough for one reel if that.

Also, do you wash a reel off with soap and water after a servicing?    I'm thinking about removing oil/grease residues off the reel body so as to maintain clean hands while fishing.

I started kayak fishing about 1.5yrs ago and before I had my system down the reels got dunked in salt water a couple of times.     :-[

alantani

AR bearings are like bad girlfriends.  if they fail you once, replace them because they will always be suspect and they will reverse on you when you need them most.  you should be able to find the lubes on line.  smoothdrag.com/ might have drag washers for these reels, or measure them out and have the nice lady there try to match something up.  you might also find something on this list.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21.0

for cleaning, just wipe it down as best you can.  it is nice to have a thin coat of grease on the ouside surface. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

rx7240sx

i know dawn has the drag washers for the coastal. they may fit the regal to just campare the drags from both reels to see if there the same size lots of small spinning reels from the same company are the same . like shimano stradic 2500 thru 4000

LocalHero

I guess I'll have to call smoothdrag and see if they can cross reference them.  Meanwhile I can still service the main workings of the reel.   Only now work is busy again and I'll have to find time....

Thanks for answers!

fisher480

The Coastal looks a lot like an Exceler. The drag is the biggest issue followed by the dreaded Daiwa line roller bearing. I have the first of the Australian Exceler 2500's and have flogged the living daylights out of it with all saltwater usage. Take Alan's advice on the gear damage too. I remember having to remove the pinion gear / bearing assembly right out before I could get to the oscillating gear but that was the worst of it.

Buy a ceramic hybrid bearing for the line roller. I have four noisy Daiwa's about to get this treatment. The Daiwa's have this black material for a drag which becomes lumpy after time and needs attention and lube. I've seen the same stuff even in the older Saltist overheads. Carbontex is the way to go. There is only about three different styles of constructs and variations to spin reels. You will get to know these as you go.

If you haven't done your own reel service before then my other advice is as follows.

Photograph everything before dismantling.
Do the reel in sections such as spool then handle then rotor then gear box.
Copy and enlarge the schematic.
clean well lit area for your work.

When all else fails ask for help.

Maybe We Can Fix It

I just serviced a Daiwa Regal 4000 XIA. Fairly standard spinning reel, serviced the AR and pinion bearing, replaced the two bearings on either end of the main gear.

Those old Daiwa drags were smooth as could be, left them alone after inspection.

One thing I found unfortunate in design is the reels main gear bearing that sits in the frame assembly, it is installed from outside the main body within a frame cavity and is held on by a clip..this doesn't allow adjustment of the main gear when the handle is on the side plate bearing side (left), it allows free, unregulated pressure when reeling with handle on the left side. This particular reel, with handle on left side, gets a strong vibration when inward pressure is applied during reeling, not felt if the handle is reeled in with no inward pressure applied. Right handle drive is standard smoothness for a spinner.

I checked the Daiwa schematics and there is no insert or bushing missing. Odd design.
"Maybe We Can Fix It" Reel Repair
Scott Rodriguez
Owner/Operator
Factory Trained Technician

maybewecanfixit@gmail.com

Instagram: @maybewecanfixit_reelrepair

Website Coming Soon!!