"Carbontex Loss of Drag Power

Started by Newell Nut, January 31, 2013, 01:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

When upgrading to Carbontex or Smooth Drags on your Newell reel you may find that when trying to maximize the drag the star will bump the side plate bearing cover. This of course limits the amount of drag force.
One way to solve the spacing issue is to simply add another 3-18 washer.
These washers come in two different thicknesses but you will not see that on any schematic. The same is try of the 3-16 washers.
If Alan does not have an extra 3-18 for you then you can get a stainless washer the same OD as the 3-18 and open the ID with a dremel. This standard SS washer will be thicker than the stock 3-18 and can be used as a replacement and save the stock 3-18 for another project.

If you do not have a dremel then use the thrust washer that was under the gear. Just trim the OD with scissors and your problems of spacing are over. You will find more drag than you need without the star bumping the side plate.

If you purchased a used reel and found that it did not have a 3-18 washer and I have found a couple with no 3-18, then use a SS washer the same OD as the water seal brass bushing or the thrust washer.

This does not happen on all Newells and I only ran into a few times in my collection. Hope this helps those that have experinced the spacing problem.

alantani

i've had a bunch of people ask for the 3-18.  i am down to my last one!   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on January 31, 2013, 03:57:22 AM
i've had a bunch of people ask for the 3-18.  i am down to my last one!   :-\

Can they be cut?  If so give me the ID, OD and thickness needed and I'll cut some.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

i can send you the last one i have and you can take a look!

Keta

I'll draw it up and get it into the pile of parts waiting to cut.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bluefish69

Quote from: Keta on January 31, 2013, 04:28:58 AM
I'll draw it up and get it into the pile of parts waiting to cut.

If it is what I think I should have both sizes. I can check  parts tomorrow if you like. I can mail them if you like also. Sorry I can't remember all the numbers.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Keta

If it's just a washer and no key or ear the dimentions is all I need.  The next batch of parts should be cut soon so the sooner I get it the better.  I can run 10 of them and mail them out to check fit.

Mark Twain

bluefish69

Lee

It's a washer that fits through the whole in the side plate. The hole in the washer has flat sides that fit over the Bridge Sleeve

If you make these I would like 50 of each thickness

Keta

Like a keyed drag washer?  If so having one will make it easier to get it right the first time.

Mark Twain

Newell Nut

Since I do not know how to post a picture I will email Alan a picture of the dimensions that I just drew up.

Newell Nut

In the diagram that I sent to Alan I included the dimensions for the 3-16 washer that is used to hold the handle in place. Guys bend the thinner one with too much pressure when tightening the nut so the thicker one works the best.

For the drag spacing problem the 3-18 is the critical washer that most people need. I don't know how they dissappear but I see a lot of used reels with no 3-18 washer at all. I guess guys work on them without a diagram and forget where it goes.

Hope this helps everyone.

bluefish69

Lee if you send me a PM I will mail them to you. I'm in NY

All of the 3-18 that I have are plain steel -- 3-16 are SS

Mike

Newell Nut

Mike

You may not have a true 3-18. Carl Newell designed corrosion resistant parts. There are washers from somewhere that will fit and they corrode. I fixed a 447 recently that had a badly corroded washer in the place of the 3-18 and the dimensions were all correct except it was quite a bit thicker than a Newell 3-18.

There is enough carbon in a 3-18 for a magnet to stick to it but it is still stainless in my tool box. The magnet sticks to the stainless 3-16s as well. All depends on the grade that came from the manufacturers and Newell probably used more than one supplier. SS is certainly better if you fish near salt water.   

I sent Lee all the dimensions and he is in the process of getting some made.

Dwight

alantani

Keta

Mark Twain