"Carbontex Loss of Drag Power

Started by Newell Nut, January 31, 2013, 01:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Thanks Alan

Lee has some .035 SS material which should be fine for both washers. I have found many little dimension differences in several of my Newells and most of it revolves around the 3-18 and the different size stars. Some of the plastic stars are thicker than others and then we have the P stars which are also thinner. There is also the graphite and the aluminum handle difference so these washers cover a lot of problems. I have one S533 4.6 that has one unique difference. I had to use two of the 3-16s to keep the handle nut from hitting the bridge sleeve screw even after filing the top of the screw down some. It was a new reel that had never been tampered with too.

These washers will work on all of the Newells from 200 to 600 and all letter prefixes. Once you get all the drag a guy could want you can toss the 3-142 bevel washer on the outside of the handle.

bluefish69

I do know that Newell used about anything he had in stock to build reels. 90% of my reel come from Cal.  When you sent a reel for repair if the reel was bad he would throw it in a pile & send a new one to you. This info came from people that visited the factory.

I really don't care what they are made of. Next week I will go & get Springs & Dogs. Today I found a Brass Dog in a 220F
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

You just touched on something else that worries me. The Dog and Spring. I am safe with my 500s since they have two dogs and springs but my other Newells only have one dog and spring.

Do you know someone that makes those things? I don't have any spares of those. I could probably create a dog with my dremel and couple hrs but no idea about making a spring.

Keta

If the dogs are similar to a Penn dog I can have them cut.

Here's some I cut, the left one was modified by jerseymic.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

Nice work Lee, I thought I recognised your handiwork there. Innovative work too by jerseymic.

Newell Nut

Lee
That is some pretty work but Newell dogs are much simpler. PM me your address and I can take one from one of my reels and send to you to get dimensions. Once you get those dimensions you will have it for all Newells. One size fits all.

Dwight

Keta

Dwight, done

Quote from: Irish Jigger on January 31, 2013, 11:53:59 PM
Innovative work too by jerseymic.

Yup, I thought it was excelent.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain