Rod overloading

Started by trickytune, February 02, 2013, 08:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trickytune

Ok I will admit it that I treat my gear hard but it seems to hold up.
I have been looking at buying a new Penn Spinfisher 7500 for popper fishing and I intend to fill it with 80lb braid.
Its rated at 35 lb of drag 35/80 =43% so no point in using lighter braid. I want to stop GT's.
But as for the rod which the post is about after all I find that almost all rods seem to handle close to
whatever the line rating is in drag e.g. my Shimano Nexave 6-10kg has had over 7kg drag on it.  :o
It looks and feels unwell but manages to hold up ok. And at the price I don't care if it breaks.
So I'm interested in the new Okuma Salina 3 but want the longest so thats a 15kg rod or 33lb.
And the reel puts out max 35lb and the optimum for the braid is 26lb+.
Does that sound like an ok request to put 30-35lb drag on a rod like that?
If I go to the correct rod for 80lb thats a 37kg rod its shorter and will feel way less if hooked up on smaller fish.
It just doesn't seem right.
Most of the time my jigs and poppers are 70-200 gram which is perfect for the light 15kg rod.

Thoughts??

wallacewt

your very question is the reason i use ugly stiks.
i overload every one,i have tried very hard to break them for the past 30years?
and never succeeded yet.
if and when it happens its very cheap to replace.
cheers

johndtuttle

The problem with a good cheap and tough glass rod like the ugly stick is that is has a tip that is completely unsuited for fishing poppers as it is far too soft. You need a stiff tip but a "slow" or parabolic action to take the sting out of the fight.

The stiff tip is needed to move the big chuggers (poppers) efficiently. If the tip is too soft some poppers cannot even be made to work at all as they are not floating to improve their casting.

What's needed is a true popping rod. Post on gtpopping.com or 360tuna.com looking for recommendations available in your area at the price you can afford. This is the most demanding application for spinning tackle so I'm afraid there are no short cuts.

best