Need help with Mitchell 302

Started by VW, February 11, 2013, 01:32:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VW

First time disassembling a Mitchell 302 (not 302N), which is in good condition.  Cannot get the spool spindle off the main shaft.  Does it thread on?  If not, how do I proceed?

alantani

there is a button to push on top that releases the spindle. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cone

VW, are you talking about the piece on the main shaft the spool fits on? If so I would just remove the entire shaft by taking off the side plate. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

VW

Yes, the spool spindle/base.  This is the first one of these reels I have worked on.  It seemed logical the spindle would be threaded onto the main shaft, but could not get it loose.  Although reel is clean and well lubed I thought there may be corrosion in the threads so let some Kroil brand penetrant soak in for a couple of days.  Then clamped the shaft in a vise and an adjustable wrench tight on the spindle flats.  I could feel, and see, the shaft twisting but it did loosen eventually.  The Kroil may have helped some but the threads were clean.  Someone had previously threaded the spindle on VERY tight.   

Cone

Yeah its probably the first time its been off too. I normally don't mess with them unless I need it for a new shaft. A little heat helps too.  ;)
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD