6500CS (non-rocket) darker grey. Any info?

Started by KYwoodsman, February 16, 2013, 09:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYwoodsman

Hey folks,
I have been reading this website for info for the last several weeks while I have upgraded the drags and a few other parts on my abu ambassadeurs. Thanks for all the great info that is only on this website, it really has been a huge help.
My questioni for you folks is, I recently bought an older, new in the box ambassadeur 6500cs that I haven't been able to find any info for online. The info sticker on the side of the box lists it as an Ambassadeur 6500CS, Ultra cast design, 3 ball bearings, instant Anti-reverse, ect. I assume this was the earlier model of the 6500cs rockets? Any info that your willing to share on this reel would be great.

KYwoodsman

I found the same schematics that are in the box on Abu Garcias website but no information on the reel.

Jimmer

I don't do a lot with abus, but if you have a foot number there's a post under the abu section that might help you find more info.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Ken_D

what Jimmer said....Adding: underneath the reel, there is a long number, sometimes partially obscured by the white "inspected by" sticker.

Once the number is known, a schematic can be located on the web, or asked for, from purefishing, for future posting on the web.  Flip 'er over, and post the findings. Someone will be quick to advise you the draweing.

Abu is known for making most of the internals common, reel to reel, with minor deviations on side plate colour, handle shape, etc.

According to the Abu nonclamature thread on page one CS stands for Sports Rocket. All my rockets had laser etched marking on the sideplate rims, no CS stamped on the plate face.

KYwoodsman

Quote from: 0119 on February 17, 2013, 11:38:03 PM
According to the Abu nonclamature thread on page one CS stands for Sports Rocket. All my rockets had laser etched marking on the sideplate rims, no CS stamped on the plate face.
I know it's weird. It looks just like the rocket reels but is a darker grey and has ambassadeur 6500cs at the bottom of the reel like my 70's model 6500's do. This 6500 mag reel is the closest reel I kind find as far as looks go. It this same color and has the same style abu logo at the top of the left side plate. Other wise it looks just like one of the med. blue rockets with the rounded ridges on top of the the plates and everything. I am looking for info on this reel because I have never seen another one like it and couldn't find anything on ebay or the net to match it.
I'd post pics but can't get them to load on my computer right now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Abu-Garcia-Multiplier-Reel-Ambassadeur-Classic-6500-CS-Mag-/350707952025?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D5670381041846840888%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D230929606809%26

Mooki

The one in your link doesn't look older to me, but yours may be different..?
I found a JDM schematic that almost matches, seems the side plates are green in the schematic though.
Could your reel be a JDM?
Reel foot number would be helpful, as stated previously.
http://www.purefishing.jp/parts_list/pdf/6500/1014319_AMB_6500_CS-Mag.pdf
http://www.purefishing.jp/parts_list/pdf/6500/1130038_AMB_6500CT_Premium_Mag_Elite.pdf
Something like 40 BCs, mostly ABU. Still counting upwards...

KYwoodsman

The reel isn't real old, maybe the early 2000's maybe. The #'s on the foot are "010204". I did find the same schematic that came in the box with it on Abu's website, but other than that haven't been able to find any info on the reel. I am going to try and find something out from Abu Garcias customer service line today. Here is the schematic from Abu:http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/6500CS%200400.pdf

KYwoodsman

I have the schematic on this reel, I'm just trying to find some info on it. I was thinking it was a 6500CS rocket when I went to look at it and an older 6500C. Once I noticed that it was was CS that doesn't have rocket anywhere on the reel or the paperwork it made me curious as I haven't seen this anywhere on line.
It is brand new, never fished and I am going to leave it like that. This is my first Abu Garcia Ambassadeur that I have bought to "collect" and not use. I have been fishing with them since I was 13 years old and am now 36. With my son loveing to fish as much as I do, I hope to pass my collection on to him someday.
If I ever figure out how to post pics I will post some of my small collection. I have:
2-70's 6500's silver
1-4 screw 6000
1-84' 7000 in like new condition
1-mid 90's 6500C3
1-2012 7000IC3
1-6500CS

Part of the short run Abu "International Series"?  When was that in the 90's I thought, maybe very early 2000's.  There was a 6500 Rocket that was a shiny gun metal.  I had one but traded it quickly for a 5500 Pro Shop.  Lord if I kept every Ambassadeur I ever had to have then traded, I'd be a rich man.

Ken_D

Quote from: KYwoodsman on February 18, 2013, 11:04:15 AM
The reel isn't real old, maybe the early 2000's maybe. The #'s on the foot are "010204". I did find the same schematic that came in the box with it on Abu's website, but other than that haven't been able to find any info on the reel. I am going to try and find something out from Abu Garcias customer service line today. Here is the schematic from Abu:http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/6500CS%200400.pdf

I'll rummage about some drawings, and see if I can report useful info.

KYwoodsman

I sent an email to Pure fishing, (abu usa) and they sent me a short email that said the first 6500CS reels were sold in 2003, and only sold through dealers.
Here is a youtube video of the same reel that I have except mine has a chrome handle and no thum rest.

Ken_D

Well, there it is. Abu is 51% (or whatever the control interest is, these days) owned by Jarden, which in turn owns Purefishing. The remaining interests are free to do all kinds of things outside the Americas.
The CS is a nice piece.  Much like yea so:   http://aburullar.se/ambassadeur-6500-special.html  

I linked to this one, to check on your handle... is it like this one, or flat paddle grips.

Here's another whack of reels not seen over here on a regular basis.  http://aburullar.se/ambassadeur-exclusive-collection-meny.html

KYwoodsman

Hey Ken the first picture you linked to is almost the exact reel I have other than the 6500cs logo at the bottom of mine. The abu at the top and the handle are the same. The other pics you linked to are great too. Wow there are a ton of beautiful reels out there, lol.
Cheryl Svenby from Pure sent me a follow up email today with some more info. The 6500cs was only made for a couple of years. It was kind of a base model with the 6500cs pro rocket coming out in 2006. It sounds like I really lucked out by finding this reel that was put up and not used.
Thanks to everyone for the help in searching for info on this reel, I'll do my best to get a few pics up.