Penn Torque 25N: Service Tutorial and First Look.

Started by johndtuttle, February 21, 2013, 04:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Quote from: Tile on February 21, 2013, 07:34:13 PM
The silver coloration returned by the scratch told me everything - cast and then machined aluminum, which is nice  :) .

Penn confirmed this AM that the black inner side plate is anodized aluminum.

Alto Mare

Very good explanation, now I get it ;). Sorry, it takes me a while ::).
Thank you John.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Nessie Hunter

Great tutorial, awesome pic also....
Saw it on B D and was impressed. 
Good job, lots of time & effort put into it.
Thanks....
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

john2244

bigreddog

Thanks John for the great tutorial.  I just took mine apart and removed the bearing shields.  It was a bear, had to use a #22 hook and forceps (Circlip shield retainer), along with a lot of magnification to get it done.  

I am a long time PG 545 fan for fishing 40-60# for long range bait fishing, but this reel has the Pro gears beat.  The Torque is the first reel to do that in my opinion.   Lighter, better free spool and line capacity, slightly better drags over a tricked out 545. I got 500 yards of 50# Izor Solid spectra with lots of room for a 30' topshot.  Over 90 seconds of free spool with line on it.

Mine has the 4.8:1 gear, but the reel has more torque than the PG545 at 4.0:1 due to a much longer handle in the power position.  The PG power handle measures 2 7/8", the torque is 3.75".  About a 30% difference.

Additional observations-an extremely light weight spool, and an oversized spool shaft.  

I guess I have a bunch of tricked out black Progear 545s for sale!

johndtuttle

Quote from: bigreddog on May 15, 2013, 07:10:53 PM
Thanks John for the great tutorial.  I just took mine apart and removed the bearing shields.  It was a bear, had to use a #22 hook and forceps (Circlip shield retainer), along with a lot of magnification to get it done. 

I am a long time PG 545 fan for fishing 40-60# for long range bait fishing, but this reel has the Pro gears beat.  The Torque is the first reel to do that in my opinion.   Lighter, better free spool and line capacity, slightly better drags over a tricked out 545. I got 500 yards of 50# Izor Solid spectra with lots of room for a 30' topshot.  Over 90 seconds of free spool with line on it.

Mine has the 4.8:1 gear, but the reel has more torque than the PG545 at 4.0:1 due to a much longer handle in the power position.  The PG power handle measures 2 7/8", the torque is 3.75".  About a 30% difference.

Additional observations-an extremely light weight spool, and an oversized spool shaft. 

I guess I have a bunch of tricked out black Progear 545s for sale!

Hey thar,

Just getting around to some of my old threads and posts so thanks for that update with your on the water experience.

There are many reels that compete for "state of the art star drag reel in it's class that can do it all" and the Torque is the equal at least of anything else made (vs Shimano/Daiwa/Okuma). This classic 3/0 size is truly the do it all other than maybe trolling at length for larger models. That's where the tanks that rest on mechanical dogs come into their own and ARB's get beat up fast.

I might still pick a Baja Special for my one "stranded on a deserted island" conventional doomsday reel (for it's simple ruggedness and all around ability  ;)). However, other than trolling, there is nothing the Torque 25N doesn't do even better (lighter, lower profile, better feel in the hand, instant anti-reverse, better casting, faster retrieve and a lighter spool to help your live bait swim). This comes at a cost of greater complexity and price but is worth every cent and make the reel a joy to fish.

best

franky

Hello John,

I am working on four of these reels....what a beauty!

On one of the reels, the spool adjustment knob in the center of the right sideplate seems to spin endlessly.  Upon closer observation, when I removed the outer gold cap, the internal silver threaded unit seems to be free spinning on the sideplate.  :-\

Therefore, I took off the sideplate and looked at the inside part of that spool adjustment unit.  Indeed, it was freely rotating on the sideplate.

Question:  How is that threaded adjustment unit fastened to the sideplate?  Can it be removed?  I'm thinking about applying a very thin coat of super glue on the inside to help hold the unit in place.  I'm thinking that after all, when you put the gold adjustment knob on the outside, it is not load bearing and it does not take a lot of abuse.  I would have prefered another method of securing that unit from rotating, but I am trying not to simply "buy" another sideplate just because of this situation.

Thoughts?.... :)

johndtuttle

Standby, I wouldn't want to guess as to how they press it in or what the best way to proceed would be (I worry about epoxy promoting corrosion possibly) and am asking Penn to comment and give us guidance.

johndtuttle

Per Penn:

"The part is staked in, sounds like it wasn't hit properly at our factory. A quick fix would be "peening" the aluminum on the inside of the right side plate 4-5 times around the part, which will force the part to mate correctly and the part to no longer spin. I have done this quick fix out in the field once as we were at a tournament and the guy was fishing it the same day, it worked and everything is still functioning properly after a year. Seems like a couple of them may have gotten out as this is the 2nd time I have heard of it since launch date a few years ago. The glue may work but not 100% sure. Obviously he can send it in and it will be covered 100% under warranty."

I always do my best if I feel I have complete knowledge of how to proceed (or at least one way to do it that won't hurt anything :)). However, I often post in the Penn Forum on stripersonline.com as the service manager and techs post there frequently and really have the best knowledge as to how to care for your reel if anything remotely warranty comes up.

:)

ps of course, if you post here we all will do our best to help as we are able.

Jonnybravo

This exact thing happened to me.  I brought it to Alan's house and he repeened it for me.  If you look closely, you'll see 4 small dents.  Just peen but don't hit too hard.  The material is very soft.

franky

Okay, thanks for the responses.  I did notice those small tab looking marks that surround the unit.  I will try and brace the unit and lightly tap it with a small punch tool.

Thank you.

bigbassfisherman

i just bought a black torque 12. i am trying to service it, but I can't figure out how to take off the right side plate. I have taken apart a few reels before and I have never had this problem. I took off the handle and the 2 torx screws (it seems that there are only 2 screws on the 12 size, unlike 3 screws on the 25n size). However, when i do that, the side plate stays on, as if there was another screw holding it in. i only see the two screws, is there something I am missing?

johndtuttle

Quote from: bigbassfisherman on October 18, 2015, 08:08:05 PM
i just bought a black torque 12. i am trying to service it, but I can't figure out how to take off the right side plate. I have taken apart a few reels before and I have never had this problem. I took off the handle and the 2 torx screws (it seems that there are only 2 screws on the 12 size, unlike 3 screws on the 25n size). However, when i do that, the side plate stays on, as if there was another screw holding it in. i only see the two screws, is there something I am missing?

I think you are doing it right but the tolerances of the RS plate are so high and there probably is reel grease sticking it together to make it tough. If you take off the LS plate first you can push on the spool spindle (not too hard) to pop it off (make sure the cap is on well). Sometimes the LS plate is tight too, you can conversely remove the spool tension cap (26B) and push on the spindle to pop off the LS. It nicely applies pressure in the middle of the LS plate.

bigbassfisherman

Thank you so much! I just tried this and it worked. Saved me hours of frustration... I never would have thought of it myself!

johndtuttle

Quote from: bigbassfisherman on October 18, 2015, 09:22:54 PM
Thank you so much! I just tried this and it worked. Saved me hours of frustration... I never would have thought of it myself!

The Torque lever drags are very tight like this mating together so well they get snug. Fortunately you have to remove the lever drag cap to remove the spool anyways (as it is threaded to it's end) and I learned the trick that way.  ;)