Experimenting with the 113H drags

Started by Alto Mare, February 23, 2013, 05:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

35 freaking pounds of drag! That makes it a hundred pound reel. How much 100 pound spectra will a tank hold? This has to be the cheapest reel of that strength around. Amazing job guys.
Ronald
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

gstours

Thanks to others that have contributed their ideas, and wondering "IF".......as I havent been able to send pictures on this forum yet (slow learner?) I have sent some pictures to others and they do it willingly..So watchout  and watch for more mods to come.......so thanks everybody, from me.........and as someone has already done a 6/0 Im sure,,,,Ive got lots of reels but havent graduated to the big reel class as I have a thing for 2-speed reels, quite a thing.............but hope to try a 114h in the future.......also toying with a big diawa I got recently......It has a 1 pc frame, star drag, sst parts inside, and would hold a wallets worth of 100#spectra..........box stock used condition this reel produced 32# drag when I got it.............next project maybee.................just playin around.....gstours.......

Black Pearl

Quote from: noyb72 on May 27, 2013, 03:31:17 AM
35 freaking pounds of drag! That makes it a hundred pound reel. How much 100 pound spectra will a tank hold? This has to be the cheapest reel of that strength around. Amazing job guys.
Ronald
Ron, do you still need the 113H SUS gear set?

Thanks,
Alan

Ron Jones

Absolutely. Sorry, been on vacation. If your available, I'll call right now.
Ronald
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Thanks for your crazy tests Gary, it's very much appreciated around here. Just don't blame me or anyone else here when things go snap  ;D.
Keep them coming buddy.
Also thanks for the Pilot Marker idea, it still doesn't help marking the inner side of the gear though :-\.
This is what I do, I dab the gear in some flour and mark the sheet, it has been working nicely for me.

and here is how nice it fits

Thanks again for sharing.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

A lot of interesting things going on here.  Sal, I like the way you mark the carbon fiber sheets with the white.  Very innovative.
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

Mandelstam

I'm glad I didn't see a credit card and a rolled up dollar bill...  ;D

"Man tager vad man haver" - a famous old quote from an old cook book here in Sweden. Translated - You use what you got.

Nice work!

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

BMITCH

Sal, is that the SS gear from black pearl? If it is that's beautiful!!! If it is how did you get the cuts made?
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

floating doc

I probably won't ever do any fabrication on this level, but I sure love reading about it! Amazing work.
Central Florida

Ron Jones

OK, I failed.

Can someone tell me how to cut the center of the CF sheet? I used the cut washers in the gear as a guide for a twist drill and rounded off the CF washers inside the gear. What did I do wrong or more importantly what should I have done?

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Norcal Pescador

Maybe a hole cutter for gaskets. Look in a good auto parts store. I've drilled out the center holes on CF washers that were too small, sandwiching the CF between two keyed washers and going slow.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Keta

Quote from: Norcal Pescador on July 02, 2013, 12:54:24 AM
I've drilled out the center holes on CF washers that were too small, sandwiching the CF between two keyed washers and going slow.

I do something similar but use a "Sal Mill" a Dremmel.   A gasket punch or a piece of sharpened tubing the proper size works too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Robert Janssen

Quote from: noyb72 on June 29, 2013, 06:58:40 AM
... as a guide for a twist drill ...

For drilling laminated sheet stock, this kind might work better for you.

TomT

If using a gasket punch, it helps to grease the carbon fiber sheet before cutting.  I forgot who originally published this idea, but I first read it on this site.  It definitely helps and I use Cal's grease.
Tom