Experimenting with the 113H drags

Started by Alto Mare, February 23, 2013, 05:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cone

Sal, you never cease to amaze me with the things you come up with! Your the McGuiver of AT. I bet if my Yamaha broke down you could fix it with a Penn Senator.  ;D   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

redsetta

Great stuff Sal (and Bob) - looking forward to seeing how this pans out!
Cheers mate, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Well, looks like we got something here.
I checked the  torque on my drill with a scale, I wanted the drags to be at the exact same settings.
From 1 to 2 it jumps up 2 1/5lb, going up from there it gains 5lb per number. The number 4 on the drill gave me 15lb of torque and that's what I used to spin  the gears with both washers.

I started with the perforated washers, I made them spin for a minute and removed them. The washers were warm to the touch, well the gear was worm, the washers just a little. I waited about 5 minutes and placed the gear back with the same CF washers and the solid metal washers this time. I used the same setting on the drill to adjust the drag and let the gears spin for the same amount of time.
When I removed the gear, I got burned a little  from touching it, the metal washers were also hot. The difference was very noticeable.
Now I can't wait for that gun.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gstours

Sal   ;   with the holes in the metal drag washers did you lose any noticeable drag pressure capability?  It seemed to me you would as you lose friction area.......keep us posted, very interesting,  gstours......                                             

Alto Mare

Gary, I'm going to guestimate that the loss of drag is minimal, but I am going to say that the heat amount on the solid washers will be considerable more than the perforated washers....we'll see.
I'm using a 12v drill to set the drags and a 36v drill to run the gears. Doc mentioned to look after the motor, I've been mixing five gallon buckets of thin set with that drill., I'm sure it will handle the task.
I will be running the gears for about three minutes at a steady pace and see what happens from there.
I'll check as much as I can and get back with the results.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Ok, I received the gun, wow that was fast Bob, Thank you! You must be excited about this ;D, very nice Bob, you're always there for me.
I started with the stock metal washers at 20lb and spinning the gears for two minutes. I tried three, but my arm got tiered holding the drill ::). This is what I got:

I had to wait a good 45 minutes to bring the temperature down  close to where I started, I didn't know it would take so long to cool.
I then placed the washers with the holes, adjusted the drag as earlier and this is what I got:

the carbon fiber washers did good

some grease did collect on in the holes, but only on the washers with the ears

this could be a good thing, it would keep the contact surfaces clean at all times
I tried increasing the drag to 25lb, but my gadget failed at that setting.
don't feel bad about sending me something every once in a while ;D

I need to make a bracket with a pin, so the pinion stays square with the main gear under load.
I believe we're on to something here, 43 degree is a lot. By the way, 144 degree will burn you when you touch it.
Wear leather gloves.....I'm a stone mason ;D
Enjoy!
Sal

redsetta

This is awesome Sal - thanks for doing all the hard yards.
Looking forward to another round of Tank modifications!
Cheers mate, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

john2244

Great work Sal.  But I am sure this is not really work for you but rather a lot of fun. 
Thanks for what you are doing to help us all.

John

Newell Nut

Neat looking rig you set up for the test. Once all the parts are inside of a reel there is no ambient air to help with cooling so in the reel the temps will be higher but it appears the holes will help regardless.

Bryan Young

And Sal still has a day job.  Can you guys imagine when he actually retires? ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Thanks guys! Again, just playing around ;).
I will install 4 of those washers with the holes in my Hex gear set and see if I get close to 50lb as I did earlier.
As everything else, these will need to be tested on the water and see how they hold up.
If they do work out these would be great for reels from the Tank and up.
the Super Tank, with the Hexagon gears and these washers would be the bomb ;)
Sal

Cone

Thanks for all your hard wok, Sal. I'm glad the gun made it. We appreciate all you do for us!   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 05, 2013, 11:38:35 PM
Thanks guys! Again, just playing around ;).
Sal

Sal, you keep playing around.  This is very interesting.  Thank you.
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

Mandelstam

Interesting stuff! I wonder what you guys could end up with if you had one of these to play around with...

Regarding temperature, is really 145 degrees so much that you have to be concerned with it? As you said Sal, it burns your fingers, but your fingers aren't made from steel and carbon fiber... And we don't stick our fingers inside the reel when a big tuna is making a run for it anyhow, right?

Anyway, keep it up!

:)
/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Ron Jones

Heat soak is a major issue with drags for big fish. I used to pour buckets of water on reels while my uncle's fought big sharks and marlin, of course that was long before carbon fiber. I think a reduction of 30% will help out a lot, quite an impressive bit of inventing Sal.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"