penn 209

Started by alantani, December 28, 2009, 01:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Quote from: mo65 on August 22, 2016, 10:07:35 PM
Good job Decker! Heck...you made it through the tough part...changing drag washers is a cinch compared to scrunching that yoke, springs, and eccentric back in place. The rubber band trick really will make life easier. Or you can try my way...before I joined this site I worked up a way to hold those pieces in place...a simple strip of tape across the top post and down the levelwind to the bottom front post. Then one more strip across the worm shield. It holds everything in place really well.

Thanks for the encouragement, Mo!  Tape to hold the worm shield in place sounds good too. 

moondog371

before I joined this site! I goggled peen peer 209 and I found this ! thanks to this my 209 is sweet! thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!

reelrepair123

penn  109,  9  and  209  worm sheild is no big problem,  the way i do it is, i install the 3 long plate screws on the left sideplate  ( clicker side ) in just a little, then as i'm holding it ,i spread the reel a little and slip the sheild into place, then i slightly tighten the plate screws ,  don't tighten the plate screws all the way as it gives you slack to install the reel stand screws. leaving the handle side reel stand screws loose helps aligning the reel stand screws on the left sideplate.  another trick i use is  when i assemble the levelwinds,  the last thing i do is install the left sideplate, the reel stand, cross bars and spool are in place,   i stick a leg of a compass or small awl thru the left sideplate and chrome ring,    as i slide the plate on i stick the point of the compass into the top slotted post, thus aligning everything , then loosley catch the screws.  work for me.  happy reeling.    harryk

oc1

Those worm shields with the four prongs pre-date Penn by about twenty years.  I hate all of them.
-steve

streetglider

I am not sure what I am doing incorrectly.  I have 4 old Penn 209 reels we use for walleye fishing that we haven't used in several years.  My sons wanted to try trolling (not having any luck otherwise) so I got them out and we went.  New braided line put on at the tackle store.  One of the reels was working fine until one of the boys told me know matter how hard he was reeling it was not bringing in line.  This was after a few hours of it working fine.  Now it will not reel at all, the handle won't move.  I followed the directions here but after removing the handle and all nothing has changed when I get to the test stage of the work.  The drag doesn't seem to be working either. Any suggestion on what could be wrong?  By the way, both boys caught there first walleyes and even a steelhead. One other reel is not working but two seem to be doing okay.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack

alantani

the spool may have split under the pressure of the braid.  some of these chrome spools are "three piece," and can split and expand, locking up the reel.  a solid aluminum spool fixes that problem.  someone here should have them for a fair price if you ask on the "wanted" section. 

it's just as common loading these old spools with mono.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

streetglider

Thanks for the quick reply. I will see if I can locate an aluminum spool. Just out of curiosity, is there a way I can look at the spool to see the damage?  I intend to work on all of them during the winter and want to check everything while they are apart.

Also, the spool was not in when I noticed the gear sleeve would not turn at all. I was at this stage of the tutorial.

"let's check your work so far.  turn the gear sleeve (key #98).  make sure it clicks in the forward direction and does not go backwards"

foakes

Quote from: streetglider on September 19, 2017, 12:24:24 PM
Also, the spool was not in when I noticed the gear sleeve would not turn at all. I was at this stage of the tutorial.

"let's check your work so far.  turn the gear sleeve (key #98).  make sure it clicks in the forward direction and does not go backwards"

It is always a good proactive idea to change out the old 3 piece spool to a new aluminum 1 piece.

And that will improve the capability of the reel going forward.

However, if the sleeve is binding without the spool attached -- there is an issue with either a damaged part -- or just an assembly snafu out of order problem.

Could be as easy as the metal eared drag washers not seating in the gear grooves, an extra spring washer binding on the inside of the plate, the dog or dog spring out of place, corrosion in the sleeve/bridge post area, improperly placed pinion gear (upside down), jack on the wrong side of the yoke, etc.

I will post a schematic in a minute that may help you.

Best.

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

Quote from: streetglider on September 19, 2017, 12:24:24 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I will see if I can locate an aluminum spool. Just out of curiosity, is there a way I can look at the spool to see the damage?  I intend to work on all of them during the winter and want to check everything while they are apart.

"let's check your work so far.  turn the gear sleeve (key #98).  make sure it clicks in the forward direction and does not go backwards"

it's hard to tell by just looking at the spool.  it spreads out and is just wide enough to bind.  as for the gear sleeve, it usually binds when i leave an extra washer in the stack!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

streetglider

Thanks for the advice. I am going to take it apart tonight again and see if there is something I have done incorrectly. I don't think it's an extra washer as I only put in what I took out. I will purchase new sprockets and drag washers for my rebuilds after we take the boat out.

oc1

If the spool is not in the reel the pinion gear will rattle around and catch on the edge of the yoke so the main gear and sleeve cannot more.

Did you, by chance, have the star bottomed out against the side plate when it stopped working in the field.  It could have been something as simple as an old leather drag washer falling apart.

If that was old fashioned nylon braid (squidding line) it could have warped the spool, especially if it was put on by machine.  If it was modern spectra braid that is much less likely to have happened.  

I would take the old chrome/brass spool over an aluminum spool any day, but that's just me.

-steve

Decker

Quote from: oc1 on September 19, 2017, 07:36:50 PM
I would take the old chrome/brass spool over an aluminum spool any day, but that's just me.
-steve

Chromed brass over aluminum?  Please elaborate. 

handi2

Did they make a chromed brass spool that small? Ive never seen one.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Some 9-109-146 and 100 that I own have  chromed brass spools.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

streetglider

Still working on the reel but while I was , I came up with a question.  Would it be worthwhile to try and have these reels serviced by someone?  The cost of doing so may be very close to what I can buy new ones for.  I hate replacing something if it can be used again but it may just make more sense. My research seems to be that it would cost close to $50.00 to service them.  I may be able to figure out how to do it on my own but since I am new to this, it may be some real trial and error.