Accurate BX400XN drag

Started by niguevara, March 05, 2013, 10:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Quote from: hafnor on March 21, 2013, 04:47:11 PM
Spoke to kane from decoro tackle NZ. does alot of mods on accu's and JM's and we spoke a little about inserting a similar bearing like john did on his accurate inside my JM, he said there is only one problem with this and that is that the handle shaft bearings, or in this case the nylon bushing, keeps the gear in a perfect alignment. And that by just having the whole shaft with IAR it can get damaged by handle load. He did not think those IAR can handle much load and that's why they "surround the iar" with bearings...

Don't know how much those needles can carry but maybe you shouldn't wind a little more careful... Ie. only pump with the reel and rod and not use it as a winch...
I don't know, you tell me...

Pretty sure those needle bearings carry load quite well and should be the equal of any standard bearing. Their elements are much longer to spread the load so that they can be thinner than standard bearings that have ball elements.

The trick to adding one to your reel is simply supporting the whole drive shaft as above. If you can find a combo of AR bearing and other bushings or bearings on either side of it you should have a strong system.

Robert Janssen

Pretty sure those needle bearings carry load quite well and should be the equal of any standard bearing. Their elements are much longer to spread the load so that they can be thinner than standard bearings that have ball elements.

Thats just it- they are not needle bearings.
I warmly recommend further literature on the subject from one of many reliable sources:

http://www.ina.de/content.ina.de/en/branches/industry/sports_fitness/prod_sports/drawn_cup_r_clutches/drawn_cup_r_clutches.jsp

QuoteThe trick to adding one to your reel is simply supporting the whole drive shaft as above. If you can find a combo of AR bearing and other bushings or bearings on either side of it you should have a strong system.

Yes.

QuoteI cannot emphasize enough that reality is that they all put out the same drag if the drag washers are the same size. It is simple physics unless you use completely different material with a greatly different frictional coefficient so that it could provide more friction for less pressure from the lever.

Yes, an observation of great clarity! I too am inclined to agree, adding only that greater pressure from a cam and/or stronger belleville spring washers may influence things somewhat.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Robert Janssen on March 21, 2013, 07:32:49 PM

Thats just it- they are not needle bearings.
I warmly recommend further literature on the subject from one of many reliable sources:

Sorry for the confusion Robert. What I meant was a true needle bearing, not the needles in an AR Bearing. For example, in the ARB that I used in the Boss Fury the needle elements are not the ones functioning as AR bearings.

PE Pete

Quote from: niguevara on March 05, 2013, 03:19:00 PM
That's kinda disappointing since a lot of small single drag conventionals have ~25 lbs of max drag at full.

It's hard to believe that JM PE3 has up to 50 lbs of drag. It's also a twin drag design and similar in size to Accurate BX400XN.
Or one of the companies is understating/overstating their product's potential...
If you can fish/hold onto your rod with 30lb of drag for an period of time your doing very!