Testing some grease

Started by Alto Mare, March 07, 2013, 03:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I did a little test for myself and decided to share it with you guys.
I tested (3) products: Valvoline Red, Yamaha Marine and Penn

The Yamaha and Penn were tested right out of the container,  Valvoline was mixed 50/50 with Power Steering Fluid.
I placed a small amount of each on popsicle sticks and soaked them in saltwater for 17 days

The cup had 5oz.of water and a tbs of salt.
I pulled the popsicle sticks out of the cups and placed them next to some fresh grease

The Valvoline and Penn looked the same to me, the Yamaha turned green.
Here is a closer shot of each

I'm not sure what this means, but there was definitely a reaction with the Yamaha and saltwater.
The gentleman that came up with the Valvoline has been using it for over 20 years. He's a machinist that does some impressive work.
He also mentioned that he would never put anything with cleaners in it  in his reels, it would swell your seals and make the reel tighter.
Another of his quote was: fishing reels are not engines.
This was a personal test for myself, as I said above, I don't know what the change of color means...if anything.
I thought it was a good idea to post. Now maybe someone smarter than me can add to this. ;D
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

paal

Pretty interesting! This is the new yamaha stuff, right? I guess if saltwater actually made its way into the grease, you should get corrosion if you smear the polluted grease onto something that develops rust fast? So part II of this test could be to take those 3 samples and smear it onto some iron pieces, and see what happens?

Alto Mare

Too late Paal, everything went in the trash can. As you can see, I'm not that bright :-\
It's not a big deal to repeat the test, but it is a good idea to let someone else take over.
This would confirm my test. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

johndtuttle

Thanks for that Sal.

Some Marine greases have additives that react with salt to prevent it from reacting with the metal it is protecting. I think others use a different method and that may be what you are seeing here.

From a Chemistry standpoint the ones with additives contain something that reacts faster with the Sodium than the metal would, kinda like a sacrificial anode.

The change in color *I don't think* is confirmatory as the underlying substrate may still be protected.

Get some Iron nails and repeat the test and you should see rust on the nails and then we can look at what's under the grease by wiping it off.

I've been wanting to do the same test but don't have a bunch of different greases to try.

best

Alto Mare

Ok John and Paal, I'm trying it on some cutnails

I will check back in a couple of weeks.... I'm glad some friends here send me grease every now and then ;)
Sal

johndtuttle

Awesome Sal!

Wipe off the tops to expose them so we can compare rates of totally unprotected versus protected!

thanks for doing this!!!  ;D

Alto Mare

I was thinking about that John. I'm going to leave these to see how much it really protects, I will get (3) more cups and protect only one half of the nails.

Dominick

Sal, did you match the salinity of seawater?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 07, 2013, 09:10:55 PM
I was thinking about that John. I'm going to leave these to see how much it really protects, I will get (3) more cups and protect only one half of the nails.

Put them in the same cups so you have a control.

best

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pescachaser on March 07, 2013, 09:16:52 PM
Sal, did you match the salinity of seawater?  Dominick
No Dominick, as I stated above 5oz of water and one tablespoon  of salt. I have no interest in getting that that involved with it, this is just to see how the grease reacts under those conditions. If it's bad for one grease, it should be bad for all. The water has been mixed with salt in one container.
Sal

Alto Mare

Quote from: johndtuttle on March 07, 2013, 09:19:27 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on March 07, 2013, 09:10:55 PM

Put them in the same cups so you have a control.

best
John, wouldn't we get away with this? I know how nasty that water gets with the cutnails.

Sal

johndtuttle

Yep that looks great!

If we were doing a real super duper science experiment they would all be in the same bucket and some fancy schmancy method of standardizing the salt concentration (in mol/liter lol) would be done...

Actually, it would take me a week to research a protocol for this experiment to be worthy of a National Publication.... :D

But exactly what you are doing is good enough for us lot.  :P

best

Alto Mare

I forgot to mention that after two weeks the popsicle stick with the valvoline had no salt deposit above the grease at all, a little did form during the third week. The popsicle stick marked Penn had just as much, the Yamaha had a little more than the two. Also, I'm not sure if this means anything but the Yamaha popsicle stick got much darker under the grease, as you can see from the shots.

paal

Sal, I love these experiments! Was in the process of setting one up myself a while ago, but I lost my workshop.
Love to hear the update in a couple of weeks! :)

Killerbug

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 07, 2013, 10:03:25 PM
Also, I'm not sure if this means anything but the Yamaha popsicle stick got much darker under the grease, as you can see from the shots.

My humble guess would be, that there are some oil separation involved. This is one reason why, aluminium thickened grease are less favored as lubricant for HW duty applications. But agian, this should mostly be a problem under heat.

I was also thinking if that Yamalube used for this test is the same as Alan used to buy?, to me it looks more like traditional marine grease that is supposed, to emulsifie with water to create a water tight packing between the prob shaft, and the stern tube. That's why I never just buy whatever marine grease.  In my Country, who has a long tradition for shipping, making marine engines etc, we distinguish between marine grease, and stern tube grease(that is also sold as marine grease).  
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time