6501c3 hot rod questions

Started by Rekles, March 10, 2013, 09:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Steve send a treasure trove of information for hotrodding that I found very interesting.

Quote from: Steve Logan
Bryan,

On Alan's website you and Keta are advising a fellow about upgrades to an Abu 6501 C3.  

The newer reels have AR bearing (which he says he has), and the newer reels also have "Carbon Matrix" carbon fiber washers, which from all I have seen and  heard do not need upgrading to Carbontex unless damaged.  It appears that Abu started using Carbon Matrix washers when they changed the spool to hourglass shape.   If Carbon Matrix is what he has, just clean and apply Cal's grease.  Even if it uses Carbon Matrix drag washers, there is a fiber washer under the gear that could/should be replaced with a carbontex one (Alan probably knows which one).

Other upgrades are possible.  The first should be Alan's standard teardown, cleaning and TSI application to the entire levelwind and the spool bearings.

Next would be upgrading to ball bearings in the levelwind like the C4 (Jerry at hooklesscom has dual bearing levelwinds refered to here http://www.hookless.com/images/6C5LW.jpg), and then ball bearings in the nylon levelwind gear like the Abu Record.

see http://www.learntocatchcatfish.com/abu-garcia-c3-c4-model/
http://www.stripersonline.com/t/658997/abu-garcia-6500cs-rocket-silver-custom-built-6500cs-c5-rocket-high-speed

Next comes supertuning, which he might prefer to pay someone to do.  Involves fine grit sandpaper and simichrome polish to several surfaces that spin.

For supertuning, see

http://super-tuning.home.mindspring.com/i1a.html
http://www.thetacklesmith.com/reelsupertuning.htm
http://www.thetacklesmith.com/extremesupertuning.htm

Most of this is probably excessive and not necessary.  Abu's cast well out of the box (as Keta mentioned regarding magging).  Clean and TSI the entire levelwind and spool bearings, and that should be good enough.

(One of the supertuning articles indicated removing the nylon gear from the spool and drilling a portion of the hole a little bit larger, claiming that it originally contacted the shaft and outer race of the bearing.  Interesting.)

I mention all this not to dump it all on the fellow who just wants his abu tweaked a little.  I thought that maybe one of you guys with more experience might one day gather this all together into a supertuning tutorial (or try to get one of the above supertuners to do one to post).

Thanks,
Steve
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ken_D

Quote from: Keta on March 11, 2013, 06:28:50 PM
Quote from: Ken_D on March 11, 2013, 05:32:10 PM
Present day Abus use the carbon drags. an upgrade from the graphite/teflon washers. They cost three times as much from Abu. Dawn at smoothdrag may well have them for less, unsure.

She does.

This I knew, but I was wondering if Dawn's are less than the factory. Regret the confusion. Factory ones are about 2.75 each, compared to about 85 cents for the older ones. Are Dawn's less than. Up here, the factory ones are slightly less, because of all the adds: postage, exchange, price, etc.

Keta

I haven't priced them from ABU, Dawn is too easy to deal with.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rekles

Wow thanks a bunch for all the info, are the 6501 and 6500 frames the same or completely different? Also I bought it with no foot so I will tear it apart and investigate.

So just to clarify most 6500, 6000, and 6600 are pretty much the same with only minor or no differences?

Rekles

can anyone tell me the benefits or pitfalls for the 6 puck break as opposed to the 2 puck break ?

Bryan Young

Quote from: Rekles on March 11, 2013, 08:16:55 PM
Wow thanks a bunch for all the info, are the 6501 and 6500 frames the same or completely different? Also I bought it with no foot so I will tear it apart and investigate.

So just to clarify most 6500, 6000, and 6600 are pretty much the same with only minor or no differences?
The frames are different.  The posts are reversed between the right and the left.  If I had a lefty, I could show you...sorry.

Quote from: Rekles on March 11, 2013, 10:18:31 PM
can anyone tell me the benefits or pitfalls for the 6 puck break as opposed to the 2 puck break ?
with 6, you get more braking than 2...6 would be better because you can have either 6, 4, or 2.  I would not use them unbalance.  They should always have an opposite one, and therefore, run in pairs.  Myself, I have taken all of them off on all of my abus.  simple reels.  Never realy had much backlash issues.  But then again, I'm not tournament casting.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rekles

ok so after looking at some schematics i think i am able to add the auto 2 speed gearing too?

I fish 90% salt water, would this be worth it?

I'm really sorry but i cant help but pic your brains, this forum is full of answers and this reel is fully customizable.   I think i might pick up another one and have a father son project reel soon.

Ken_D

Quote from: Rekles on March 12, 2013, 01:25:44 AM
ok so after looking at some schematics i think i am able to add the auto 2 speed gearing too?

I fish 90% salt water, would this be worth it?

I'm really sorry but i cant help but pic your brains, this forum is full of answers and this reel is fully customizable.   I think i might pick up another one and have a father son project reel soon.

Forget that....the 2 speed is a totally different beast.  Obselete, parts getting scarce, and unless (to use the hackneyed expression) I am sadly mistaken, they never MADE a LH 2 speed !!

You really should be opening schematics, to get a feel for what fits what and what interchanges. The best collection of drawings I'm aware of (for this type of search) is at Nutter Reel. They are arranged by year, and in a long list, so you do not have to keep opening pages and clicking drawings.    

http://tinyurl.com/4juru6w

Ken_D

Quote from: Rekles on March 11, 2013, 08:16:55 PM

Yup.. Yes the frames have to be different, because the plates bolt on opposite sides of same, from the right hand type... 8)  Lh frames are the same, within the family sizes, 4-5-6-7, as are the right hand frames 4-5-6-7 sizes. Meaning any 6 lh frame will fit any set of lh. sideplates..in the family. With modifications, Cutting a slot for the cast clutch, you can use 66 plates on a 65 frame, and vice versa.    Oops... I missed Bryan's post above....

I am guilty of lots of posters out there.. repetition of the same info !!  Ever see the Fedex commercial??

This set is organized nicely as well:

http://schematics.planetseafishing.com/abu/multiplier/abu-ambassadeur.html

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on March 11, 2013, 01:40:02 PM
Does the handle have any backward movement?  If so it's a doged reel, if not it's an AR and you can add a dog. Upgrade the drag to Carbontex,  a larger handle on it and a ceramic pawl.  The ABU guys can help with more.  
I wouldn't bother with maging a ABU, they cast well as is.  

Here's my AR bearing 5601C4 with an AR dog installed.

I have two abus, 6500c3 and 5000c

I love them both and both has power handles and carbontex drags and I was wondering how to improve the AR cuz mines have a IAR not dog, after checking this post from Lee I will order two dogs

thanks buddies
The Baja Guy

steelhead_killer

Does the handle have any backward movement?  If so it's a doged reel, if not it's an AR and you can add a dog. Upgrade the drag to Carbontex,  a larger handle on it and a ceramic pawl.  The ABU guys can help with more.  

this is what I do to mine! 
><)))">

steelfish

Quote from: steelfish on January 20, 2016, 01:59:44 AM

I have two abus, 6500c3 and 5000c

I love them both and both has power handles and carbontex drags and I was wondering how to improve the AR cuz mines have a IAR not dog, after checking this post from Lee I will order two dogs

thanks buddies

kind of old thread, but my 6500c3 doest have the post to add the AR Dog (mine comes with IAR), do you guys installed the post too or your reel already came with the post and IAR bearing?
The Baja Guy

kmstorm64

I don't think anyone mentioned it, but I added the power handle to mine.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!