Garmin 178C

Started by willybendit, March 13, 2013, 11:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willybendit

Hi all Anyone know anything about  a Garmin 178C chartplotter   mine as stopped working   it was last used in October and im just getting my gear ready for some boat fishing trips  it powers up OK and once the Disclaimer  page comes up  you push the enter button to Agree and nothing happens  ive been onto Garmin UK who tell me the 178C is a Discontinued unit and no longer repair or supply parts for it to be repaired   there is no stuck buttons.  my other units work as they should  again a 178C & a 250C   tried swopping the power leads over  but the picture on the screen is frozen   ive never been into a G P S unit Im thinking there is a dry joint somewhere ?   any Idears ?   Regards Alain

paal

That is a strange to say, that they won't repair it because it is discontinued.

Was it just an automatic reply, or was this a knowledgeable person answering based on your description of the symptoms?

It could be a trivial fix, the only way to know is to open it up.

willybendit

Hi Paal     i spoke with a chap called Alex who told me that Garmin no longer repair discontinued items and that Garmin no longer supply the parts to repair the items  seems very strange no way im i going to bin it and buy a new chartplotter  must admit a do fancy a new Garmin 750s though