Garmin 178C

Started by willybendit, March 14, 2013, 08:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willybendit

well i though id take a look inside this chartplotter just to see if i could see something amiss no black marks or any signs of a burn mark Found Yet    anyway ill let you all no how i get on fault Finding   this picture show what happens when i turn the unit on Like i say you can push any botton you like and nothing happens to switch off you have to cut the power supply

only Glad is a 12volt system  as i dont like messing with 240Volts   as it can bite you

paal

Did you check all connectors (disconnect and connect)? Also, I'd go over the push buttons. Some electronic cleaning spray won't hurt (if you can spray the contact points).

Good luck!

Paal

willybendit

Hi Paal    thanks for getting back to me  ill give the cleaning spray a try   found out why Garmin  wont take a look at my unit here in the uk  Alex told me they never repaired the units just replaced them with B/new units so regardless of what unit you had if it went wrong and you sent it back Garmin would ship you out a B/new Unit   

paal

Your best bet is to go over all contact points (push buttons and connectors) and spray clean & wiggle them to check for poor contact. And check for any lose wires/solder joints, or other visual signs.
If that doesn't help, it's probably an electronic failure of some sort. That would require special equipment to debug, and some of those components are impossible to replace with 'normal' tools. I guess there's a reason why Garmin doesn't bother repairing them.....

willybendit

well after doing as i was advised by Paal  i bought a Tin  of electrical cleaner and gave the mother board  joints & Buttons a good squirt and a light blast with a air line to to dry the Access cleaner off  then left in  a airing cupboard for a few days just to make sure it was Completely dry  its now 2am GMT time and ive just had a go at putting the G P S Unit back together   connected the power supply and really didn`t think it would  power up as it should  well im sat hear with a great big smile on my face because the bloody thing is working  why ive no idea there must of been a DRY joint somewhere along the line  but who cares its back to normal and that`s all  im Bothered about  just go`s to show how a simple thing could cost you a few ££££ to replace when there is nothing really wrong with it 

tight lines Alain

Irish Jigger

Well done Alain. Plaudits to our pal Paal.
Noticed a few green areas close to my operational area in SW Scotland and the MOG ;)

willybendit

HI Tom yes there all Bass Tope  Thornback ray  And Pollack marks  still need to find the Black Bream marks  TOONIE  Tom did give me some last year but ive not fished them yet   regards Alain

Irish Jigger

Were those marks slightly south of Drummore?

paal

How nice is that! Really glad it worked for you :)

Cheers,
Paal

willybendit

Hi Tom there is a few marks in East Tarbert  Dummore  &  up towards sand of Luce my best tope marks are at Ardwell just by the Buoy   Toonie picks a few up over at the Platform  if you want my best Bass marks ill send you them in a PM  you never know who is on hear  Ha Ha     Paal  im chuffed to bits about getting the Plotter up and running again  deep down i new there was not much wrong with it because it Lite up but thats all it would do ive been playing with it today just to make sure its not going to let me down while afloat  if it does they is going to be a bit splash as ill tie it to the anchor and chuck the lot over board  into 400+ foot of water   LOL   its the first time ive ever had trouble with any Garmin  Products    Tight Lines Alain