TUTORIAL: 5500 c3

Started by alantani, December 09, 2008, 11:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

written 11/16/05

when i first started doing reel seminars 5 years ago, one fourth of the reels brought in were ambassaduers.  initially, they took up a third of the time.  it took quite a while, but i figured out the right combination of penn ht-100 drag washers and metal washers.  my problem was always a space issue.  the penn washers i had were always too thick.  recently, dawn at http://www.smoothdrag.com/ came out with a line of carbontex drag washers that fit perfectly.  just slap on a coat of cal or shimano drag grease, switch out the drags and witness the miracle!

many of you have these old ambassaduers.  it had been a love/hate relationship.  

good looks and cheap, but unreliable.  well, i want all of you to pull out those old seized up ambassaduers, and get ready to fall in love all over again.  this is one reel that anyone can fix at home.  here's how....

first, check out the smoothdrag website at  http://www.smoothdrag.com/ and check out the carbontex drag washers.  DO NOT get the old green or black smoothies.  then call the smoothdrag lady.  her name is dawn and her phone number is (760) 949-0271.  order up a set of drag washers and some of cal's drag washer grease.  she is absolutely one of the nicest people in the world.  and tell her alan said hi!

next, go the the ambassaduer website  at http://www.abugarcia.com/schematics/index.cfm  and find the schematic for your reel.  just as an example, i'm going to pick ambassaduer -> c3 -> 5500 -> 9909.pdf.  let's start....

start with the left side plate.  back off one screw (key #199)  ONLY.  squirt a small amount of grease into the screw hole and put the screw back!!!!  do not remove the side plate.  remove the next two screws, one at a time, and grease them as well.  

remove the handle nut  cap and screw (key #'s 14868, 96274 and 15359)

remove the c-clip (key #4490)

remove the handle nut (key #15359), the handle (key # 24500), the stainless steel spring (key # 5115), the star (key # 24502) and the cast control knob (key #'s 21717, 20917, and 20090)

remove the right side plate assembly (note that this photo shows the cast control knob still in place.  it must be removed first).

separate the reel as shown below.

lube the level wind assembly.

lube the left spool bearing (key #13472) by popping out the nylon sprocket gear (key #23403).  don't forget to pop it back in!

lube the right spool bearing (key #13472)

replace the spool assembly (key #970823) back into the frame and insert the spool shaft (key #802630)

now, for the right side plate.  remove the two right side plate bridge screws (key # 5229)

NOTE THIS IMPORTANT DIFFERENCE:  older reels have a more reliable anti-reverse dog (key #20671).  note that the dog has to "grab" the ratchet gear at base of the gear sleeve (key #22079), as shown in the schematic that i've chosen to work with.  newer reels have a less reliable anti-reverse roller bearing, as shown in the photo below

if you have a dog, note the proper position of the dog now, and make sure it is reassembled in the same way.  

remove the right side plate cover (key #24511).   note that the anti-reverse roller bearing sleeve and the two cupped pressure washers (key #5131) stayed with the side plate cover.

grease the screw holes

separate the drag/gear cluster as shown.  note left to right, the ....

thrust washer (key #5189)
gear sleeve (key # 22079)
fiber washer (key # 13169)
main gear (key #21200)
3 alternating drag washers (key #20907)
flat slotted metal washer (key #20906)
flat keyed metal washer (key #20905)
cupped slotted metal washer (key #20960)

also shown in the photo are four new carbon fiber drag washers and a second flat slotted metal washer.  ignore the second flat slotted metal washer.  

apply a generous coat of cal or shimano drag grease to the new carbontex drag washers, rebuild the gear drag/gear cluster and discard the orginal ambassaduer drag washers.  

if your reel has a dog (key # 20671), put the dog back onto the ratchet gear (key # 22079), install the spacer (key #22001)  and then drop the drag/gear cluster back onto the right side plate base (key #24508) .

if your reel has an anti-reverse roller bearing, replace the roller bearing sleeve as shown in the photo below.

replace the right side plate bridge screws (key # 13369) and install the cupped pressure washers in a "()" orientation as shown below.

find the small white plastic brakes on the spool (key #20211) and press them in.  failure to do this and the right side plate assembly may not seat properly.

install the right side plate assembly back onto the frame.  make sure that the brakes are pressed "in" and that the anti-reverse dog is also "in."  the right side plate assembly should seat cleanly, flush and with a "snap."  tighten down the three right side plate screws. now check to make sure that the gear sleeve (key # 22079) turns freely and that the anti-reverse mechanism functions properly.  

install the cast control cap assembly.

install the star and spring.

grease and install the handle.

install the handle nut and c-clip

install the handle nut cap and retaining screw.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

Alan,
Thanks for the heads up on the Reel +
I just re-tuned that green 5500 I pictured in that Abu Hot Rod thread... it's got 6 bearings (not counting the 4 in the handle). I have gotten 33 and one half bumps...not bad. That is using the same spin the spool with your finger test. I also put in a set of Boca Lightning Abec 5's in favor of the stock bearings. Granted a 5500 is a 3/8" less in width than a 6500, 33 bumps I think is safe to say is SMOKIN.  I hope I can keep it under control on the river! I just put an Avail Mag Kit on my other hotrod 5500...looking forward to trying that this weekend.

Bryan Young

Look, how time flies.  The bearings are not open.  LOL.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Slowly

Hi Alan. delayed Happy new year!  :D

I ordered some parts from mike's and one of it is the stainless top drag plate with raised center portion (key# 20960). I ordered it because I thought it was the one shown in the red circle, but it isn't.

Where can I get one of those?
Is it really necesary? What benefits does it has over the stock part?

thanks in advance!
Pura Vida!

alantani

if you use carbontex drag washers, you will not need the flat metal washer that is circled in red.  if you still need one, however, i can send you one for the price of a first class stamp and a beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slowly

jajaja! I'll buy one if you tell me some advantages!  ;D ;D
Pura Vida!

ountida

Hi Alan, I'm a little confused. I want to upgrade my 6500c3 drag washer. castaway tackle shop sell the carbon drag washer.
http://www.castawaytackleshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SD-5500CA

Is this the same one that is sold at smoothdrag.com?

Another question, can I used the original metal washer with the new carbon washer?

Do I lube one side of the carbon drag or both side?

Is it okay to lube the metal washer with cal , or do I leave it dry?

Thanks .  I'm a little nervous, this is my first time doing a maintenance on this.

redsetta

QuoteIs this the same one that is sold at smoothdrag.com?
Yes.
QuoteAnother question, can I used the original metal washer with the new carbon washer?
Yes.
QuoteDo I lube one side of the carbon drag or both side?
Both, lightly.
QuoteIs it okay to lube the metal washer with cal , or do I leave it dry?
No need to lube the metals as they press against the greased CF.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

ountida

Thank alot redsetta, wow everyone in here is helpful  ;D, hopefully one day I can help other memeber out too

jimmymac

I know this is a really old thread, but why are we not removing the left side cover on this reel?  I saw the same instructions for the Record 60 tutorial as well.
On The Banks of The Deep End

alantani

it needs to be redone.  it's an old tutorial and i do things much differently now. 

jimmymac

On The Banks of The Deep End

Nicko_Cairns

Quote from: alantani on November 03, 2013, 05:25:50 PM
it needs to be redone.  it's an old tutorial and i do things much differently now. 

Is it messy opening up the left side?  I'm about to service two of my Abu 5000 reels.

Nicko_Cairns

Okay disregard, I'm guessing it is pretty similar to this reel: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1512.0

fIsHsTiiCkS

Alan!! You need to do tutorials like this again!!