Triton beastmaster 30/50

Started by Cd561, March 21, 2013, 04:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cd561

Hey all, new to forums, but not to browsing. New to the sport and just recently picked up a few reels I'd like to service and or rebuild my self. The first one is a Shimano beast master 30/50. I've heard and read that the pressure plates are no good on these, but I have a few pictures here, and would appreciate anyone who has more knowledge to chime in. Let me know if the pictures are working,this is my first time trying to post a picture.

redsetta

G'day and welcome CD,
These are great reels - I have the 30/50 and 50/80 and have fixed this problem on both.
Though 30-odd years old now, they reflect designs seen more commonly today.
Unfortunately, the silicon pressure washer 'melts' over time - the remnants of which you can see in residue in the last two photos.
As the silicon's melted, the pressure plate's started contacting the spool, which accounts for the wear around the spool shaft on both sides.
I found acetone to be the best at breaking down the silicon and getting it out of the bearings etc.
Replacement silicon pressure rings are difficult to find and tricky to refit, but Glen Pamaran in San Diego can do the full job, as well as tweaking up the reel to a high standard more generally.
Glen can be contacted on 619-370-8670 or at reelconnection@cox.net.
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Cd561

Thanks for all the info redsetta, do you know much about these? I've actually been fishing this reel like this for a little bit now. It seems the only drag i get is from the pressure plate pressing on that center hub. Do you or anyone else know if I could just custom cut some carbon fiber drag washers and stack them up in there to clear that center hub?

Thanks again.

redsetta

G'day CD,
I wouldn't fish it as it is now as the damage will only worsen.
The silicon clutch plate and drag washer perform separate functions.
The drag washer is against the spool (ie beneath the 'Pressure Plate'') and not visible in these pics.
This can be replaced with CF (as I've done on both my 30/50 and 50/80).
The plate (ie 'Clutch Plate') actuates against the silicon ring.
Once enough pressure is applied to effectively 'lock' the two, the actual drag plate starts working against the drag washer.
It may sound a bit confusing, but the schematic will help: http://schematics.planetseafishing.com/downloads/shimano/multiplier/triton-series/triton-beastmaster-30-50(1989).pdf
To clarify, the pressure plate we've been referring to is #125A 'Clutch Plate'.
It's currently pressing against #124A 'Clutch Pad Plate', without the aid of the silicon ring (ie the clutch pad).
The actual 'Drag Plate' (#122A) and drag washer (#119A) are beneath the 'Pressure Plate' (#123A).
All this means is that the silicon ring needs to be replaced (either with an original or upgraded material as per Glen) before the reel will work as intended...
Hope this is of some assistance.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Cd561

Yeah, that pretty much cleared it up. Ill have to give Glen a ring. I really appreciate the quick responses and break down. Thanks again redsetta.

george.s

spirodem

I am looking for a part for the BeastMaster 50/80W
- TT0124B – Clutch Pad Plate

any ideas where i can get one?

Makule

The melted silicone disk is a real pain to completely remove.  Plan on spending a lot of meticulous time getting all of it out.  Not difficult, just tedious.

I replaced the disk on my 50-80 with butyl rubber and it works well.  Ready to replace that with carbon fiber even though it's still good.  The carbon fiber should give more drag than the rubber (and last longer, even though I don't think I'll every wear out the rubber).

I've replaced the disks on larger Beastmaster reels (the 130 size) with the carbon fiber and they work very well too.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Potomac Hooker

I have ran into the same problem with our Triton BeastMaster 30/50 Two Speed (pics attached).

I understand that I can get with Glen at Scumline Fishing Tackle to have new longer life silicon plate installed or new assembly ordered but I also wanted to look into the possibility of doing something myself.  

Can anyone direct me to where I can possible buy the Silicone Ring, or a suitable replacement and install it myself?
No dear, that is not reel grease on your clean towels. (whistle)

:) Jeff

Makule

I would not change it to silicon as that's what caused the problem in the first place.  Change to CF.  Get a sheet large enough and thick enough (about 1/8") and cut out the disk yourself.  Looks similar to the Penn International drag disks.  Donut shaped.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Quoc_Pham

Great info! New to the forums and I'm mainly responding so I can get updates on the process as it goes.

Last year I bought a Calstar Trolling Rod and this reel was on there (for $100 both). I plan on opening her up and doing the CF Drags myself after measuring and what not. Let's see what happens!

ggidzinski

I have a disassembled Beastmaster 20/30 with the silicone goo meltdown typical of these reels. I have a few questions, in part because I have no idea what this looked like when it was new and in good shape. It also appears that the 1989 parts diagram that we all seem to end up studying has an error or may be misleading.

1) Was this silicone material ever a unique part number or is it simply part of 123A - the pressure plate? I ask because there is also an "O" ring type gasket that surrounds 123A and that is what 124A looks like in the diagram even though 124A is labeled clutch plate pad. IOW, are we trying to replace 124A (clutch plate pad) or are we trying to repair 123A (pressure plate)?

2) Am I correct to assume that the silicone material was glued to the flat and smooth portion of the face of 123A (pressure plate). IOW, it moves with the pressure plate and covers the entire flat area as I see in the attached picture?

3) Some have suggested using a high temp (400F - 500F) silicone material and to attach it with Loctite 330/activator. It looks like that is what was done in the picture. Is this a good solution? What thickness material?

4) Others have suggested using carbon fiber washer material. Do you cover the entire flat area of the pressure plate? What thickness do you use? Do you attach it and if so, with what?

5) When this reel was new it had a lumpy light drag (pumped a little) which I always assumed was the drag washer or drag washer plate. I see that these components appear quite flat and in good shape. I can only assume then that this problem was in the silicone clutch area and not the drag washer area. Which clutch material would give smoother and more reliable results?

6) Lastly I am also replacing the drag washer with CF from Smooth Drag. Do you guys like dry or lightly greased with Cals tan?

Thanks,

George

That's why we don't call it catchin'

Robert Janssen

Read Tightlines666 excellent post, description and how-to here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8880.0

And for what its worth, Jack Erskine & Son make replacements. You can order one for 75 bucks AUD.

ggidzinski

Quote from: Robert Janssen on July 05, 2016, 05:52:12 PM

Read Tightlines666 excellent post, description and how-to here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8880.0

And for what its worth, Jack Erskine & Son make replacements. You can order one for 75 bucks AUD.

Thank you. Do you advocate using the silicone material as outlined in that post or do you suggest CF material as suggested i this post?

Thanks,

George
That's why we don't call it catchin'

Tightlines667

Quote from: ggidzinski on July 05, 2016, 07:02:09 PM
Quote from: Robert Janssen on July 05, 2016, 05:52:12 PM

Thank you. Do you advocate using the silicone material as outlined in that post or do you suggest CF material as suggested i this post?

Thanks,

George

It sounds like you are still a bit confused by my other thread.  I have serviced a number of these reels.  If you decide to tackle these by yourself, order the Butler rubber sheet from McMaster Carr, and cuthe, and glue a custom donate washer out of the rubber to replace the silicone.  Replace the cotton drag material with a carbon fiber drags from Dawn at Smooth drag, and I recommend replacing the Belleville washers (order from Shimano, same as Tiagra washers).  This is kinda an advanced reel service to start out with.  If you are not comfortable doing the work yourself, send it to one of the aforementioned guys.

Good luck!

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.