Triton beastmaster 30/50

Started by Cd561, March 21, 2013, 04:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ggidzinski

Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 05, 2016, 08:11:04 PM
Quote from: ggidzinski on July 05, 2016, 07:02:09 PM
Quote from: Robert Janssen on July 05, 2016, 05:52:12 PM

Read Tightlines666 excellent post, description and how-to here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8880.0

And for what its worth, Jack Erskine & Son make replacements. You can order one for 75 bucks AUD.

Thank you. Do you advocate using the silicone material as outlined in that post or do you suggest CF material as suggested i this post?

Thanks,

George

It sounds like you are still a bit confused by my other thread.  I have serviced a number of these reels.  If you decide to tackle these by yourself, order the Butler rubber sheet from McMaster Carr, and cuthe, and glue a custom donate washer out of the rubber to replace the silicone.  Replace the cotton drag material with a carbon fiber drags from Dawn at Smooth drag, and I recommend replacing the Belleville washers (order from Shimano, same as Tiagra washers).  This is kinda an advanced reel service to start out with.  If you are not comfortable doing the work yourself, send it to one of the aforementioned guys.

Good luck!

John

Thanks John. With regards to using a different material for the clutch, I was reacting to reply #9 in this thread:

Re: Triton beastmaster 30/50
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 01:18:08 PM »
I would not change it to silicon as that's what caused the problem in the first place.  Change to CF.  Get a sheet large enough and thick enough (about 1/8") and cut out the disk yourself.  Looks similar to the Penn International drag disks.  Donut shaped.

Thanks,

George
That's why we don't call it catchin'

Robert Janssen

Regarding what part number does what, see Redsettas explanation from earlier in the thread:

Quote from: redsetta on March 21, 2013, 10:55:45 PM

...The drag washer is against the spool (ie beneath the 'Pressure Plate'') and not visible in these pics.
This can be replaced with CF (as I've done on both my 30/50 and 50/80).
The plate (ie 'Clutch Plate') actuates against the silicon ring.
Once enough pressure is applied to effectively 'lock' the two, the actual drag plate starts working against the drag washer.
It may sound a bit confusing, but the schematic will help: http://schematics.planetseafishing.com/downloads/shimano/multiplier/triton-series/triton-beastmaster-30-50(1989).pdf
To clarify, the pressure plate we've been referring to is #125A 'Clutch Plate'.
It's currently pressing against #124A 'Clutch Pad Plate', without the aid of the silicon ring (ie the clutch pad).
The actual 'Drag Plate' (#122A) and drag washer (#119A) are beneath the 'Pressure Plate' (#123A).
All this means is that the silicon ring needs to be replaced (either with an original or upgraded material as per Glen) before the reel will work as intended...
Hope this is of some assistance.
Good luck, Justin

And about this part,

QuoteThank you. Do you advocate using the silicone material as outlined in that post or do you suggest CF material as suggested i this post?
Thanks, George

do what Tightlines said, more or less-- replace it with a silicone donut. Might as well make the effort to return the reel to its original state. I mean, it seems to me you could replace the donut with anything almost, but what the hell, right?  You needn't use McMaster-Carr neccesarily; maybe there is a local rubber supplier near you. Replacing the rubber with carbon fiber though, I cannot see as being beneficial. Perhaps that was a result of confusion among all the part numbers, discs, donuts and plates.

Further, I just noticed that the other Australian place sells replacement donuts for forty bucks, and i imagine Glen Pamaran would likely have them too.

ggidzinski

Silicone ring it is then for the clutch.

As far as the CF drag washer, do you like dry or lightly greased with tan Cal's?

Thanks,

George
That's why we don't call it catchin'

Drisse

Hi !

I've just opened up a Beastmaster 30/50 with the standard gel problem. I have in mind to try fix it myself. When it comes to get a new custom silconering, i ordered one from Australia on Ebay. But it hasn't showed up in 1,5 month. So I guess its lost somewhere on its way with the post. So next step is to cut one out. I think I can get a piece of industrial quality siliconesheet and cut it out with a gasketcutter at work. But what is the thickness supposed to be ? I've read 1,59mm and 1/8"=3,18mm. The one I ordered on Ebay also said 3mm. Sounds thick.....

Thanks in advance !

Donnyboat

Hi Maluke,( Albert ), were did you get CF 1/8 thick, or did you stick two, 1/16 together, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

day0ne

Quote from: Potomac Hooker on November 10, 2013, 04:25:15 PM
I have ran into the same problem with our Triton BeastMaster 30/50 Two Speed (pics attached).

I understand that I can get with Glen at Scumline Fishing Tackle to have new longer life silicon plate installed or new assembly ordered but I also wanted to look into the possibility of doing something myself.  

Glen is not at Scumline Fishing Tackle. Scumline is in New South Wales, Australia and Glen is in southern CA.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Makule

Think it's called dragonplate.  comes in different thicknesses, width, and surfaces.

Quote from: Donnyboat on July 07, 2019, 11:58:54 PM
Hi Maluke,( Albert ), were did you get CF 1/8 thick, or did you stick two, 1/16 together, cheers Don.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Drisse

No opinions about the thickness of a custom washer ?

Makule

should be same as the original, or about 1/16" thick (I think)

Quote from: Drisse on July 09, 2019, 04:51:55 AM
No opinions about the thickness of a custom washer ?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Drisse

Makule, ok. I'm getting a bit confused of the thickness since I read different opinions. You earlier wrote "Get a sheet large enough and thick enough (about 1/8") and cut out the disk yourself." and now "should be same as the original, or about 1/16" thick (I think)". Then I saw Tightlines666 used 1/16"(1.59mm). The one I ordered on Ebay said 3mm thickness and I wrote to another Ebay seller who said his was about 2,75mm.

So, 1,59mm, 2,75mm and 3mm in thickness. Everyone seem to get it to work, but it feels a bit odd that the thickness vary that much ? 

Makule

The thickness doesn't vary.  My memory does.

Quote from: Drisse on July 09, 2019, 08:08:37 PM
Makule, ok. I'm getting a bit confused of the thickness since I read different opinions. You earlier wrote "Get a sheet large enough and thick enough (about 1/8") and cut out the disk yourself." and now "should be same as the original, or about 1/16" thick (I think)". Then I saw Tightlines666 used 1/16"(1.59mm). The one I ordered on Ebay said 3mm thickness and I wrote to another Ebay seller who said his was about 2,75mm.

So, 1,59mm, 2,75mm and 3mm in thickness. Everyone seem to get it to work, but it feels a bit odd that the thickness vary that much ?