Project 700 greenie

Started by BMITCH, March 23, 2013, 11:54:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Working on a 700 greenie. Trying to make a van/penn or if you will a penn/ staal. I should have taken pictures befor I stripped it down. Im now trying to paint it and looking for suggestions on the best way to do this. I know powder coating is maybe the best, but trying to keep the cost down. Any help would be great.

luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Very nice project you got going there Bmitch, it's a shame you killed the first edition spinnfisher, that one was worth some money...just kidding ;D. You do have the first edition though, nice handle ;).
Check over by SOL, a few guys there have done those and I'm sure you'll find all of the information you need.
Powder coating might be tricky, even on these, tolerance is tight :-\.
Maybe Bob (Cone) will chime in, he has done some painting with good results. You might need to get rid of that knob, I'm sure it would melt in the oven.
Actually, get yourself another handle, that one is worth keeping. If someone needs it bad enough, I'm sure you'll get around $25 for it.

By the way, here goes the carpenter/ mason coming out of me , the two holes at the bottom, on the last picture are 1/8 closer.
I'm just messing with you ;D.
Take pictures as you move along. Very nice project, thanks for sharing and good luck!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Sal, you could be right about the spacing. I free handed the drilling so it's anyone's guess as to the spacing accuracy? I did make a template from some graph paper. The actual drilling was done with a hand drill. I did look on SOL and my only question there is on the primer coat. Is that necessary? What about if I was to buff it up only. Without any paint? What about a clear coat only? I have found no mention of what type/kind? I don't want to have to restripp and paint again,but maybe that's just part of the learning curve. Anyone can jump in and offer their suggestions and or experience. Good or bad. Would be great.

Bob

Cone

Bmitch, I have used gunkote before. Here is a link: http://www.kgcoatings.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=6&pg=1 They have a color chart on the site. Brownells sells it as well. I only have matte black and gun metal blue in the 2400 series. I use an airbrush to apply it. Ceracoat is probably better but i have never used it. If you want Black I would do it for free if you pay the shipping. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

BMITCH

Thanks cone. Whats your thoughts on the buffing then a clear coat. The plain metal Penn used on these reels is nice looking when bare. This might be an option. It's almost a gunmetal gray.

Cone

I'm sure that it would look fine. I don't know how the clear would hold up or adhere to a buffed finish though.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

BMITCH

Question is what kind of clear?

Alto Mare

Quote from: BMITCH on March 23, 2013, 01:30:23 PM
Sal, you could be right about the spacing. I free handed the drilling so it's anyone's guess as to the spacing accuracy? I did make a template from some graph paper. The actual drilling was done with a hand drill. I did look on SOL and my only question there is on the primer coat. Is that necessary? What about if I was to buff it up only. Without any paint? What about a clear coat only? I have found no mention of what type/kind? I don't want to have to restripp and paint again,but maybe that's just part of the learning curve. Anyone can jump in and offer their suggestions and or experience. Good or bad. Would be great.

Bob

You did all that drilling by hand, I'm impressed. I thought you used a drill press.
As I said above, just messing with you, it does look very nice.
I have a smaller reel that I removed the paint, I set it aside and never bothered with it. I had the same idea about just using clear coat, but  it would probably turn gray when finished :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

surfcaster

Nice, will look cool when done.I like the mod on the spool to add the eared washers,& hts. Great old reels carbide line roller, lots of Stainless & naval bronze parts inside.Penn was on to something with these. Mines pretty stock except the drags,are converted to ht's & has packed blue grease in the bearing.

[]

Cone

Rich, Thats a nice looking reel. They don't make them like that anymore. Bob

surfcaster

This is another cool mod that can be done for these old reels too.
Looks stock   

[]

BMITCH

Surfcaster, I was thinking if I ever broke the handle on this 700 what would I do?? You've answered that with this handle. What spinner did the handle arm cone from. What I would really like is the large round white handle that I believe was available on the 710? Any leads on something like that?

surfcaster

It came from an old 704 I broke the knob and epoxied a green knob from my old franken reels/ spare parts/projects/ experiments gone wrong
parts bin. Mostley before Alan started this site. The bend is different than the 700 & it hits the bail. It Does works on a 700 with bailless kit. 704z 706z handles fit too. but again not with the bail. No good handles around But I may have one or 2 spare knobs around somewhere.....

[

BMITCH

Rich, thanks for the info. It seems to me that the east coast fisher people really like the older Penn 700 series compared to our west coast counterparts. Do you think that is because of the way we fish?

surfcaster

Probably is,a alot of us still use them in the surf up here. 
700 series is one of the toughest & is the easiest to maintain.
bailless= best plugging reel, reels with bails =best dead sticking bait reel.