7/14/04 - kid's fishing day II, sandra's big salmon

Started by alantani, December 10, 2008, 12:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

decided to launch out of santa cruz to give the three girls a break on the weather and not fish hmb. i took my 10 year old and the 11 and 13 year olds from next door.the water was flat calm and we ran to steve dodsworth's numbers from yesterday. we stuck an 8 pounder and had several scratched baits. the troops started to get a little uneasy, so we ran all the way to moss. we joined the fleet and stuck a 10 pounder, then a 28 pounder!!!!! 3 fish for 3 kids.

i know it seems like i'm starting a ymca-style fishing camp, but it's worth it. you should have seen these kids holler when that 28 pound slug came on board. funny thing about fishing with kids, they get impatient, the get bored, they get frustrated, they sing, yell, and scream. we need to get more kids out fishing!

one side note. last trip i had a 50% "hook up to net" ratio with my stock fbr's. on this trip i re-rigged the fbr's with my tried and true double hook rig. i was still only batting 500. next trip out, i'm going to try something new again. i'm going to use a double hook rig with a straw tube and a loop at the end. then i'm going to thread the line through the tail of the bait, out the nose, through the fbr to a 1 ounce banana sinker with a bead chain and a snap. the i've got no way of being absolutely sure, but it sure seems like the fbr is getting bit more than my modified rsk's. the problem for me is that my fbr's are coming up scratched, and that never happens with my modified rsk's. i should have been an engineer. i just love to tinker with stuff....

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!