Shimano Charter special tr2000

Started by septicsac, January 15, 2010, 04:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

septicsac

I have a charter special 2000 that gets harder to reel as the drag is increased. I have had the same problem with an avet mx that turned out to be an offending pinion bearing. Will it be the same culprit in the charter special or is it likely to be a different bearing as the pinion bearing looks  and moves ok ?  ? also is this a result of rinsing the reel in free spool rather than with the drag on ?
Bigger problem is that one of the 4 gear screws refuses to move and looks like it will have to be drilled out as the head of the screw is not great.........anyone any ideas how to address this problem ?
Any info much appreciated.

kamuwela

check the bearings real good also always wash with full drag. every shimano booklet ive ever read says wash with full drag try shimano.com and click products then youll see reel maintenance                                         aloha kamu

septicsac

Know now to wash with full drag on ::) and will go through the bearings to see which is the culprit,just wanted to make sure it was a bearing causing the trouble or if anyone else had experienced a similar problem.........cheers for the reply ;)

septicsac

Problem solved with the shimano charter special. Culprit bearing was the pinion bearing as I took the pinion bearing out of a tld 15 and tried reel with it in and it worked fine so just need to source the bearing now. Also got the screw that was stuck out by heating it with the tip of a soldering iron and it moved then...............thanks for the advice guys

akfish

You can get the bearings at SmoothDrag.com. Good prices too! Tell Dawn the guy from Juneau sent you.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

septicsac

Quote from: akfish on January 22, 2010, 02:11:15 PM
You can get the bearings at SmoothDrag.com. Good prices too! Tell Dawn the guy from Juneau sent you.
Was talking to local Shimano guys and they have a bearing on the way along with replacement screw I needed but have the smmothdrag website bookmarked for future reference........................cheers

septicsac

Spoke to guys in shimano and they recommended taking bearing out of charter special and trying it in one of my tld 15's. Did this and sure enough the previously fine tld started acting up so I knew the culprit bearing. Same arrived from shimano some 10 days later so I pulled out the 2 tlds to see which was the one with the bad bearing............guess what....now both working fine. Previously the problem was a hard to turn reel when drag increased but now both turn fine with drag on up to full ::)Guess I will have to open both up and inspect the bearings as I dont want them to give up when needed most.............sods law!

Whiteman

Had the same jammed bearing issue on my TLD15. Took it out and got it spinning and tested but I still ordered a replacement bearing. I could not work out why it jammed in the first place but it costs a lot of money to get out to the reef and fish so the gear has to be in A1 condition.

akfish

The pinion bearing is the most common failure on all  lever drags. You must keep is greased at all times -- like re-grease it at least once per season. I think another reason it fails is that you "crush" it every time you put the reel in gear with lots of drag. Notice how the spool moves to the right when you put the reel in gear causing the pinion to push up against the bearing. I think the bearing will last longer if you keep a light drag. But who does that??
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Reel Quick

I have just encounterd this problem.
I have 2 CS 2000 reels....
I noticed the one that is working has sealed bearings and the one
That is having this problem has open bearings.
Can anyone tell me the size of the pinon bearing?
Thank you .

alantani

they should be 7x17x5.  if you need a pair of bearings that are thoroughly packed with grease, let me know.  i have a bearing packer!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reel Quick

Thanks, I called Dawn and there in route.