rough water, check it out

Started by harryk3616, April 09, 2013, 01:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Heck NO!! Better to miss a boat payment than lose the boat entirely...
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

saltydog

Well I've done that before and it is not fun.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

locknut

Keta

Bad stuff, they are lucky they didn't roll when they turned in the trough.

The Columbia River Bar is often far worse, I've been on the flying bridge of a 38' Tolley and lost the mast lights of another friends 38' Unifligh 100 yards ahead of us in large rollers, we would not have been there on an outgoing tide.

Crossing the Columbia River Bar on a fair day.

Fools entering Depo Bay  out of the narrow channel.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

That last picture was indeed foolish, I know a bunch of people who will not cross the Columbia bar without a life jacket on, even if it is dead flat. The coast Guard tests survival ships there for a reason.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Makule

Quite impressive from several aspects, one of which is the seaworthiness of those vessels, another is the courage of those men.

It appeared as if the one in from with one stabilizer arm out did not turn as much when hit with a big wave as the vessel behind without the arm out.  Makes one think the captain of the front vessel has done this often before.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

locknut

Yep this is the Grey River Bar on the West Coast of NZ. I have stood on the break water and watched these guys come in. With a big sea running it is quite a spectacle with a big crowd out to watch. They seem to come and go no matter what the sea conditions and yes there is a monument on the break water to those who don't make it.

Keta

Why don't they time their crossing for slack or incoming tide?

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

locknut

This is a river bar with a strong outgoing flow the tide makes very little difference and if there is a swell running it could in the winter be weeks before it drops. The biggest problem is the state of many older boats in the NZ fleet there is very little money in the industry and these boats are way underpowered with the river flow they can only just make headway meaning the crossing can take a long time.

Keta

Quote from: locknut on August 14, 2013, 05:28:16 AM
This is a river bar with a strong outgoing flow the tide makes very little difference and if there is a swell running it could in the winter be weeks before it drops. The biggest problem is the state of many older boats in the NZ fleet there is very little money in the industry and these boats are way underpowered with the river flow they can only just make headway meaning the crossing can take a long time.

The Columbia River is the largest river in the Pacific NW draining the west side of the Rocky Mountains from British Columbia to Montana and as far south in the Great Basin in Northern Nevada, the bar improves during slack or an incoming tide.

Mark Twain

Bucktail

Wow!  That is rough! :o  And the guy on the 9320 boat seems as cool as a cucumber.  He's walking around the deck taking pictures! 8)
Just a jig-a-lo

MFB

Quote from: harryk3616 on April 09, 2013, 01:46:47 AM

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ByGSMmenPDM?rel=0

I remember this on the 6 o'clock news they both made it in, it was of the Grey river bar arguably the worst in the country. All west coast bars can get a bit hairy.

Rgds

Mark

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

valkie

This is why Kiwis make stabicraft boats.
These are the only boats that keep the mad beggars alive.
life's pretty dull without fishing

Reel 224

I have only one thing to say  ::) That is a OH SZIT! :o Monument.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."