Penning some thoughts on Shimano

Started by Tunny, April 09, 2013, 07:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tunny

Hello all!
New to posting on the site (first post), but am a long time follower.  The width and breadth of knowledge on this site is amazing!  My question is;  I have a Shimano Stradic 5000 FH that got dunked in Eleuthera while wading.  I immersed it in fresh water and let it dry and oiled it but did not grease it until I got home weeks later.  Once home I disassembled the reel, washed it out with fresh water and dish detergent, rinsed it clean and let it dry.  I then oiled and greased it (Hot Sauce and Penn Grease) and reassembled it (reinstalling the anti-reverse cam spring was fun!)  only to find the reel still feeling very rough.  After speaking with Shimano, I found out that they no longer service this model and parts are not available.  This upset me as the reel is only one iteration old and they won't touch it.  What are the chances that parts from a Stradic FJ are transferrable?  Am I just out "o" luck with this reel or does anybody have suggestions for parts and/or service?
The experience has me considering buying old metal Penn SS models and gaining rugged reliability with design simplicity while giving away some smoothness.  Any input is greatly appreciated,  Rob.

Bryan Young

You may want to ask Shimano who may have the parts you need and they can direct you to them.  that is how I found several parts for older Shimano reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

G'day Rob,
Bryan's advice is spot on.
Also, as the reel was simply dunked, it's likely the bearings are the source of the roughness.
Give them a thorough service or replace and you'll probably solve the immediate problem.
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Tunny

Bryan-
Even though I've received two replies to my post, the post itself does not appear to be showing up on the forum.  Have I missed a step?

johndtuttle

Quote from: Tunny on April 10, 2013, 03:43:35 PM
Bryan-
Even though I've received two replies to my post, the post itself does not appear to be showing up on the forum.  Have I missed a step?

There are so many stickied posts that your post is on the 2nd page. I found the same quandary when I first started posting ("hey! where'd my post go!" :D)

As above, unless you have pulled the shields on the bearings and checked they likely are the source of the roughness. Fortunately, there are easily replaced (Shimano may have the sizes) or there are a number of other sources for these generic parts. Sometimes they can be "reconditioned" with lots of corrosion-x. Other times they balls have become pitted and replacement is the only option.

The rest of the reel will last a long time with good care. Not much to go wrong.

best regards

coonhound

Quote from: redsetta on April 09, 2013, 09:12:42 PM
G'day Rob,
Also, as the reel was simply dunked, it's likely the bearings are the source of the roughness.
Give them a thorough service or replace and you'll probably solve the immediate problem.
Good luck, Justin

I just serviced my Stradic FH and after a carb cleaner/compressed air and corrosion X treatment, they run much smoother.  You likely have some residual soap/water & debris in the bearings.

Tunny

Thanks All,
Coonhound- Is Corrosion X a good lubricant as well as a corrosion inhibitor?  If not what do you prefer to use for grease and oil? 
Many thanks, Rob.

Bryan Young

CorrosionX is a great lubricant and rust inhibitor. I use it on everything.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

conchydong

Quote from: redsetta on April 09, 2013, 09:12:42 PM
G'day Rob,
Good luck, Justin

This. I dunked a bunch of reels once in the Philippines, including Shimano and Penn. Bearings were the only new parts needed after stripping and thorough cleaning/ re-lubing..

Tunny

So, I found a couple of bearing companies (Boca and VXB) with extensive inventories.  
Neither, however, had the parts for the 5000 FH although both had them for the 4000 FH.
This puzzled me until I recalled hearing that some subsequent Shimano models were identical
save for the spool and parts that make the spools non-interchangeable.  Does anybody know
if this is the case?  If so, eureka!

johndtuttle

Invest in some digital calipers (~$15) so that you can measure them yourself and mate them up to those they have. Boca doesn't keep track of every Shimano model but in all likelihood they have what you need.

best