saragosa upgrades

Started by 808printer, April 09, 2013, 11:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

808printer

Wondering if the upgrades are worth the effort.  Apparently you can swap out the worm shaft bearing, oscillating slider bearing, CRBB SS bearing for the platic bushing  on the pinion gear, and 2 CRBB bearings for the handle? Found them on EB. Parts # not listed. Anyone hear/do this? Mahalo.

Bucktail

I asked a similar question of Alan Hawk on another site and this was his response:

QuoteBob, knowing what this bearing does and doing many experiments myself on different reels I can tell you that this bearing would improve the feel of the reel by less than 1%, and that's no exaggeration. You will not be able to tell any difference, and it does nothing for the durability of the reel because each of those those mid-range reels is built to a price point to provide service for a roughly estimated amount of time before several parts need to be replaced. It's not as if the reels are super durable with only this bushing as the weak link.

Generally speaking, the only places I'd recommend upgrading a bushing to a bearing in a spinning reel are the line roller and the two drive gear axle bushings (uncommon but some reels still have one or two bushings instead of bearings there).

http://jignpopforum.com/index.php?/topic/683-pinion-gear-bearing-upgrade/
Just a jig-a-lo

808printer

Mahalo Bucktail,
I can spend the time saved on fishing!