Penn 704Z: Service Tutorial

Started by johndtuttle, April 12, 2013, 05:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

Quote from: Newell Nut on August 12, 2015, 12:56:43 AMWhat I saw first was and hex or oct (did not count) and then a white (maybe delrin) washer, keyed and CF and keyed and CF and keyed.

"Back in the day", Penn used Teflon discs in some of their drags. That's probably what the White washer is.

Army_of_One

I wanted to say thank you to John for posting this tutorial.  Your pictures were fantastic and really helped when I couldn't visualize how it went back together.   ;D
Another day in Paradise!

johndtuttle

Quote from: Army_of_One on March 24, 2016, 01:26:30 AM
I wanted to say thank you to John for posting this tutorial.  Your pictures were fantastic and really helped when I couldn't visualize how it went back together.   ;D

Glad to help!

:)

johndtuttle

Here's a very cool thread about a mod to convert your 704Z to bail-less and handle braid better. See the linked thread for discussion and source:

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/670063-penn-704z-bailess-problem/

robbyr

Put my 704z in the ultrasonic cleaner filled with Simple Green and the paint unexpectedly came off.  Plan on repainting with either powder or auto paint --- haven't decided yet.  I have a few questions about a complete disassembly though.

1) Is the pivot post for the gear dog pressed or screwed into the housing?

2) Does anyone have any tips for pressing out the handle bushings?

3) Tips for pressing out handle grease fitting?

4) Best paint? The powder paint guy says he's not sure how much coverage he can get inside the rotor cup.

Thanks everybody,
Robby in NC

johndtuttle

Quote from: robbyr on January 13, 2017, 12:57:03 AM
Put my 704z in the ultrasonic cleaner filled with Simple Green and the paint unexpectedly came off.  Plan on repainting with either powder or auto paint --- haven't decided yet.  I have a few questions about a complete disassembly though.

1) Is the pivot post for the gear dog pressed or screwed into the housing?

2) Does anyone have any tips for pressing out the handle bushings?

3) Tips for pressing out handle grease fitting?

4) Best paint? The powder paint guy says he's not sure how much coverage he can get inside the rotor cup.

Thanks everybody,
Robby in NC

Hey Robby,

Gotta say I don't know!  ???

I have never taken a 704z down to bare bones for a repainting but others have. They probably "masked" over those areas as removing the grease fitting would probably destroy it. The pivot point for the dog is molded in the ones I have seen IIRC, the bushing is pressed and may be able to be removed with the right size sockets, but may be another case of letting sleeping dogs lie as any paint my mess with the tolerance getting it back in.

My best advice is to refer you to Stripers Online where there are countless guys that have repainted their Zs and drilled them out, removed the handle bushing for an AR bearing etc and generally very helpful. Post in the reel maintenance forum there and you'll get all the low-down on repainting your reel.

Sorry to hear about the simple green. However, some guys strip the paint and then polish the aluminum with beautiful results, something to consider.

best

robbyr

handi2

Robby the pin for the dog comes right out. It needs to be in if you want the frame to be all black. The pin goes all the way through the body. Just paint is covering the end.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

robbyr

oc1

The dog pin is just sitting in there but cannot come out once the main gear is in place.  I would not take the bushing or grease fittings out unless they are going to be replaced with new ones.  The old ones may not be secure when replaced and there's a good chance they will be buggered up in the process.  I wouldn't paint it either regardless of how bad the finish is.  Ones that are painted always look like an old Spinfisher that someone painted.
-steve

ez2cdave

Quote from: oc1 on January 18, 2017, 10:05:43 AMI wouldn't paint it either regardless of how bad the finish is.  Ones that are painted always look like an old Spinfisher that someone painted.
-steve

Agreed . . . POLISH it !!!

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/581974-penn-spinfisher-greenie-to-shiny-metallic/

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

nelz

Doesn't that shiny finish start to tarnish with the salt water? Is it coated with something?

ReelFishingProblems

I read that you keep a coating of wax on it, but I am curious about the cover plate, mine is plastic, were some aluminum? Or did they just paint the cover plate?

Nick

robbyr

The dog pin/post on mine is firmly attached.  It's either pressed in, screwed in, or molded in place --- I'm just trying to figure out which one.  I've included a version of one of John's great photos to show the pivot pin I'm talking about, just in case I'm calling it by the wrong name: