Penn 704Z: Service Tutorial

Started by johndtuttle, April 12, 2013, 05:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbyr

That shiny 704z sure is pretty, but I'm afraid my buddies might laugh me off the beach if I showed up with something that fancy.

ez2cdave

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on January 18, 2017, 08:07:28 PM
I read that you keep a coating of wax on it, but I am curious about the cover plate, mine is plastic, were some aluminum? Or did they just paint the cover plate?

Nick

Nick,

I think the early 704's had a metal sideplate, later changed to plastic.

www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-REELS-PENN-704-SPINFISHER-GOOD-SHAPE-/351957226864

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Penn-704-Spinning-Reel-Greenie-USA-/152398209097

http://www.ebay.com/itm/penn-704-/152376099691

Tight Lines !

oc1

Sorry, I messed up and lied.  The 704 has a slip-in pin but the schematic on a 704Z does not show a pin.... as though it were a permanent post.  The 710Z through 716Z have a screw like what Keith describes.
-steve

johndtuttle

Quote from: oc1 on January 19, 2017, 06:06:03 AM
Sorry, I messed up and lied.  The 704 has a slip-in pin but the schematic on a 704Z does not show a pin.... as though it were a permanent post.  The 710Z through 716Z have a screw like what Keith describes.
-steve

I wouldn't go that far :).

But yea, the 704/6z have a molded post on the ones I have seen (but have been wrong before). :)

Brandon G

Thank you for the information!
Tight Lines :)

mo65

I've been fiddlin' around with one of these reels all week, and I though I'd share some of my results. Sal mentioned long ago in the comments that he felt the reel was capable of much higher drag numbers than stock...and I must agree after some testing...this reel left me enlightened.
  I started with this modest example, she's no plinth princess, but the battle scars are only on the outside. There was no excessive wear on any parts, and this one has obviously been used a lot.

The badge patina was a bit much for me...I couldn't read the darn thing...so I buffed up the high spots.

At first I thought this handle's chrome knob shaft had serious corrosion. It turned out to be just surface grit and grime. Hopefully the eBay pic(left) shows the "before" well enough. I though the "after"(right) was a major improvement.

One of the interesting features on these reels is the rotor brake. No other reel I've opened has had this type brake...and I'm wondering why. Seems like a great brake.

Want a good giggle? After all the hundreds of reels I've serviced, this is the very first bearing shield I've removed without destroying it. Have I finally graduated to "reel guru" status? :D

There was nothing wrong with the bail...but I've always wanted a 706...and they don't come cheap often. This modified 704 will serve well enough for now.

This is one of those little things that bothers me, but most folks would never even notice. The AR ratchet just slips onto the drive gear, so it wiggles around a little. A few punches with a nail and the edge is moved out just enough to make the fitment tight. It takes the slop out of the ratchet.

All cleaned up and ready to reassemble. I started with the stock drags. That consists of a white plastic washer under the spool, one white washer inside the spool, and the other two inside are a hard fiber that looks very much like the washers used in early Ambassadeurs and Cardinals. I've heard the white washers referred to as Teflon most of the time...sometimes Delrin...even Acetal. Just for simplicity I'm calling them Teflon from here on. The stock stack was surprisingly smooth...very smooth...no start up or chatter at all. It made 13 pounds fully tight. I've always heard these teflon washers were a poor choice for high power drag systems, and this is the first time I've tested them at a rating over 10-12 pounds. They handled the power very well, so I'm wondering if I've misjudged these all along. ???

Next up was the stock configuration, but all in spool friction washers swapped out to Penn HT-100s in the #6-60 size. That produced the same fluid pull at a max of 15 pounds.

Last but not least, I slapped in the Bryan Young 5-stack. Power jumped to a whopping 21 pounds fully tight. Impressive...and I'm still scratching my head...I've never seen 5 #6-60 size drag washers produce that much power. I've put this type 5-stack into a variety of Penn conventionals and most produce 15-17lbs. max. The best ever conventional was my River King 259 and it made 19lbs. max. Maybe it has something to do with the line being pulled off the spool different on a spinner versus the conventional? I'm not sure, but this 704 is a trooper! :o

I guess she don't look so bad after the overhaul. One thing is for sure, this classic will still be haulin' in the feesh when we're all dead and gone. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

El Pescador

MO!!

Why a 706???

Many internal parts are interchangeable with the 704.

Greater line capacity???

Love to know,

Keep fish'n!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

mo65

Quote from: El Pescador on May 29, 2020, 05:36:00 PM
MO!!

Why a 706???

Many internal parts are interchangeable with the 704.

Greater line capacity???

Love to know,

Keep fish'n!!!!

Wayne

Wayno...the answer is very simple grasshopper. ;D  The 706 is the bailess version of the 704. As far as I know, the bail, the rotor brake, and the handle are the only differences. I still can't walk across the rice paper without tearing it though...so I could be wrong.

El Pescador

Dang MO!!!

Just learned something new today.

checking the Mystic Spinning reel site, and RIGHT YOU ARE, SIR!!!!

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennSpinfisher.aspx#specs

the 706 is bail-less.   NEVER knew that until today.

Spending time on Alan's website does pay off!!!!

And in the 70's my Brother Ken and I LOVED to watch Kung fu!!!!   David Carradine was just so calm & cool as be beat the crap out of those in  his way.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Alto Mare

Those are nice reels Mo,  still used by many surf fishermen here in the NE.

Love that quote about the rice paper...got to use it!🙂

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wfjord

Nice job on the 704, Mo! I particularly like the added touch with the nail on the ratchet. I always enjoy taking apart the 1st gens.

mo65

Quote from: El Pescador on May 29, 2020, 05:56:25 PM
The 706 is bail-less.   NEVER knew that until today.

It's kinda funny Wayne, back in the day Penn offered this bailless kit to swap out a 704 for just a few bucks. It gave the fisherman a chance to try the bailless option without having to buy a whole new reel. Now...with today's bailless popularity these kits are bringing $20 or more...and it's getting to the point where just springing for a 706 is about the same price. I bought my kit a while back when they were still only $10-$12. 8)

Midway Tommy

Not only have you graduated to "reel guru", Mike, you've also morphed into an innovative design flaw technician! I like the way you tightened up that AR ratchet gear. Very creative!

Oh, BTW, nice walk through! 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

xjchad

Wow, those are MINT Fred!  :o
What a neat find!

Mo, great info and details again!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Riy2018

Good Day, just got one penn Black 704 Z from flee market. Penn side logo/decall and knob decals is missing.
Please let me know if anyone has extra willing to sell? Thank you