replacing guides

Started by bigtoy83, April 14, 2013, 07:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigtoy83

There are so many pictured step by step posts of repairing reels, are there any for replacing guides?

Mike La Franchie

Look on the mudhole website. They have a clear video.
I only fish on days ending with Y

SoCalAngler

A tip top guide is easy just heat with a lighter and remove add a little hot glue to top of blank and slide new top on. Crack,chipped or inserts that pop out can be replaced by installing new inserts, of course the chipped/cracked inserts have to be removed out of the guide ring before installing the new insert. Now if your looking to replace a whole guide correctly, the materials, time, equipment required and to have it look good the first couple of times I find it easier to take them to a professional and have them do it. But, if this is something you want to do there many web sites with step by step instructions on how to wrap rods.

Mike La Franchie

I wrapped a few guides using a card box to hold the rod, left over 15lb braid for thread and 5 minute epoxy.

It's not pretty but those guides are there and working. The price was right!

My first couple looked rough, pretty even wrapping after that though. It was easier than i thought it would be.

i would recommend a pro if you want to a perfect job to match your existing guides.

otownjoe

I would check youtube also.you will find different styles so you can pick one thats right for you.it is tedious at first but gets very easy once you get the hang of it.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Mike La Franchie on April 15, 2013, 06:32:02 AM
I wrapped a few guides using a card box to hold the rod, left over 15lb braid for thread and 5 minute epoxy.

The 5 minute epoxy is okay for an emergency repair but I wouldn't rely on it for the long haul. Many are only water resistant, not waterproof. Just a word of caution.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Mike La Franchie

Thanks for the warning. Murphy's law says they will work perfectly well right up to the point I hook the fish of a lifetime...then fall apart.

However without a rod drying rack, I don't have much option if I don't want glue lumps on my rod.

On the topic of a rod drying rack I am in the process of building one from a motor that turn the plate in a microwave and some scrap timber. Just need some old roller blades or similar to steal some rollers off then I will be Able to use a nice slow cure rod finish.

Building myself a rod is my next project.
Seems to me though that it will cost more than buying one, however I like to learn new things so will give it a go.

Ron Jones

I usually look at good will for stuff like that.

You can save money building your own rod if you are careful. You usually can't beat the price of a top tier rod such as Seeker or G-Lomis if you build a comparable rod. You CAN buy a few things here, a few things there and stretch the purchase out making it feel like you are saving money.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Mike La Franchie on April 17, 2013, 07:22:33 AM

Thanks for the warning. Murphy's law says they will work perfectly well right up to the point I hook the fish of a lifetime...then fall apart.

However without a rod drying rack, I don't have much option if I don't want glue lumps on my rod.

On the topic of a rod drying rack I am in the process of building one from a motor that turn the plate in a microwave and some scrap timber. Just need some old roller blades or similar to steal some rollers off then I will be Able to use a nice slow cure rod finish.

Building myself a rod is my next project.
Seems to me though that it will cost more than buying one, however I like to learn new things so will give it a go.

Look on this same board to see what Wallace put together for his rod wrapper. I'm sure you can build one without a cyclone assist. :D 

I've used 1-hour Devcon epoxy for repairs that I had laying around. It goes on well and had set up enough after about 15-20 minutes of twirling it slowly on my lap while watching the tube. Before it set up I used a butane lighter to get the air bubbles out.

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

bluefish69

If you go mudhole.com you can buy all the supplies & there are videos to watch. Check the books if you fiend one by Billy Verona check it out, he is one of our best in the N.E.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bryan Young

I personally like Angler's Workshop in Woodland, Washington. 

http://www.anglersworkshop.com/
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D