Maxel SeaLion 08 drag problem !

Started by Drisse, April 18, 2013, 03:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drisse

Hello Guys !

Yesterday I've got a Maxel SeaLion 08 single speed reel from a friend. He have tried a couple of reels during saltwaterfishing for Cod and Halibut. He said that a couple of reels tested by different persons have drag problems ?

The drag have been adjusted and feelt nice and smooth on "strike". When he hooked a big 20+ kg cod (they can take up to 30 m line in the first run when you hook them) the drag did "bite". Like the drag was adjusted to full strike ? He checked the drag on "strike" and it was normal. He fished on and the reel worked well. After a couple of cods, the same thing happened again. The drag did "bite" while fighting a fish and the braided line snapped.

I haven't teared the reel apart yet, but the only thing I can come up with is that there's some trouble with the drag washer. The plan was to grease it with Cals if its dry or maybe change the washer to an old Shimano washer. I don't know what the old Shimano washers is called ?

But there's another problem. The drag also completely stops to work ? When you have the reel set to strike and hook a fish, the drag won't work at all..... A couple of time it felt like freespool. The nordic distributor knows about the problem, but the don't have a solution of the problem.

Anyone here who have had the same problem ? Any idea what the problem could be ?

Regards !
/Drisse

Drisse

Bump this one since i need fast help.....

Bryan Young

I found a schematics http://www.maxelamerica.com/schematics/SL08.pdf or http://www.maxelamerica.com/schematics/OSL08.pdf, but am not sure if it's the same reel.

I suspect but am not certain, but it sounds like the CAM assembly is getting stuck or skipping/jumping.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Drisse

Thanks for helping out Bryan. Very appreciated :)

I will have a look at that. But as I mentioned before it's a couple of brand new reels.
So it will be hard to find out. Any idea how I can test the parts you listed ?

Thanks so far :)

Bryan Young

Its a matter of looking an to see if anything could be binding.

i was thinking some more and it could also be the shaft that is binding with the bearing.  I've never seen it on new reels, but on used reels, sometimes the bearing would get stuck due to the grease or rust and then pop back off. 

Good luck and post pictures if you find or not find anything.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Drisse

I still haven't found anything that could cause this problem ? I forgott to mention that
the reel have been used in cold weather. Seems like a longshoot, but you never know ?
The temperature have been from 0°C down to a couple of minus °C .

alantani

drisse, let's eliminate the easy possibility first.  did you have loose spectra on the spool?  sometimes the spectra can dig into a spool full of loosely packed spectra and lock up.  the loosely packed spectra could be down pretty deep.  you would have to pull all the spectra off the reel onto a large plastic service spool and repack it. you will know this is the cause when you get half way down and find this

otherwise, you are looking at a full tear down and rebuild of this reel.   if you have carbon fiber drag washers, just wipe off the excess grease, slap on a thick coat of cal's grease, wipe off the excess and reassemble the reel. 

i'm betting on the spectra.....   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Drisse

Thanks alot Alan !

I will spool off all the braided line and see how it looks.

I have already tearded almost the whole reel apart, but I can't find anything wrong.
The reel had a dry carbonfiber washer. I gave it some Cal's .

Wolli

long story short explained. One of our fishing friends had same troubles with the reel during fishing in cold temperatures in Norway. After long test in close concert with the German general importer they found out, that the problem occured from a non plan drag plate #76, non plan pressure plate #78 and a too week press spring #77
Replacing the three parts solved the problem, also at minus 19°C for some hours in deep freezer.

Recommend to discuss with your importer/dealer or feel free to contact the German Importer.
www.fishing-adventure.com/

this the thread in the German NAF Fishing Board
www.norwegen-angelforum.net/showthread.php/44287-Maxel-Sealion-OSL-08-D-

Good luck
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Drisse

Alan, I checked the line on the spool and it was ok.

Thanks alot for the help Wolli. Very appreciated. Now I have something to check on the reel.
Will have a look at it tomorrow and see what I can find out. Maybe change the parts directly
since I can't see that there's anything wrong with them.

Drisse

Wolli, from which schematic are the partnumbers ?

They doesn't match up with the partnumbers on the
schematic I have.

http://www.maxelfishing.com/images/services/schematic/SL/OSL08.pdf

Regards !
/Drisse

Mandelstam

Fellow Swede maybe? Thought I recognized your nick from FS?

Hope the reel works out! :)

/K
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Drisse

Drisse

Wolli, I now saw that there were different partnumbers on the schematic from the US site.

/Drisse