Favourite trolling lures...

Started by FishnNauru, February 23, 2014, 10:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishnNauru

So what are your favourite trolling lures, skirts or hard bodies that you have caught the most fish on.
What are they, what colour and what have you caught on it...
For me in Nauru I've had good success with
1. Williamson wahoo catchers. Blue/pink/silver. 6inch jet head. Other colours good too, this is the main one. Caught skipjack, YFT, wahoo, sailfish(18,20,25kg) barracuda, rainbow runner...and about anything that swims. I rerig the heads when the skirts get torn to bits...if I can keep it that long...some a gone within 10 min
2. Some generic diver, yellow,green,orange. Slayed the wahoo, especially off the yozuri dive board. Biggest wahoo 17kg.
3. Halco laser pros, 190. Best colours red head, baitfish(blue with black stripe), mullet(silver) (14.5kg tuna)pink chrome(pink silver with black stripes) king brown.  wahoo, yft some locals get marlin on these too :) super tough, easy to troll, can be trolled fast, or run off the diveboard.
4. Rapala Magnum divers, 20 and 30. Red head, blue, purple. Dive great, can be trolled fast. Wahoo and YFT.

So if I only took these lures with me I could probably put fish in the boat...but I normally take way more than these with me...just in case... :)
Before you give me any grief, yes all the fish were eaten :)
I have the gift of taking a small job and making it into a big job!

Patudo

Your post brings back somewhat frustrating memories of fishing where the razor gang was prevalent.  I love seeing a wahoo come over the side but I hate the way they can demolish your lures. Fortunately in most of the areas I fish today they very seldom venture out of their zone on the inside.  

I make my own trolling lures so have loads of favourites but this one has been a good all round producer.  It's a grandson of a Joe Yee peanut, fits 6 inch skirts. I've personally caught bigeye tuna, white marlin, dorado, wahoo, sailfish and large skipjack tuna on them, friends have added striped marlin and small blacks. One great thing about making your own is that you can do them in different weights from just a slice of lead in the belly to as much lead as you can fit into the lure.  They all come in handy.  

SoCalAngler

If I only could take one trolling lure on a trip for where I fish, So Cal down to Baja's East Cape, without a doubt it would have to be a unpainted 6-8 inch cedar plug. I have caught more fish as well as the largest variety of fish on this type of lure. Pelagic's such as Marlin, Sails, and Dorado, all tuna here including YF, BF, Albacore, Skipjack, Bonito as well as jacks like Yellowtail, Amberjack, Almaco as well as many other fish feeding near or around the surface.

When in dought put the wood to them and cedar works well for me. I almost always have one in my spread when it is time to drag some lures.

Nicko_Cairns

I troll a lot and the Xrap 30 is definitely the most productive lure, I have probably 70 lures I've retired that I've tried and the Xrap is the definite winner.

I often run two different lures each day and the Xrap keeps coming up trumps time after time...

Dominick

Quote from: SoCalAngler on October 05, 2014, 04:08:22 AM
If I only could take one trolling lure on a trip for where I fish, So Cal down to Baja's East Cape, without a doubt it would have to be a unpainted 6-8 inch cedar plug. I have caught more fish as well as the largest variety of fish on this type of lure. Pelagic's such as Marlin, Sails, and Dorado, all tuna here including YF, BF, Albacore, Skipjack, Bonito as well as jacks like Yellowtail, Amberjack, Almaco as well as many other fish feeding near or around the surface.

When in dought put the wood to them and cedar works well for me. I almost always have one in my spread when it is time to drag some lures.
I second this post.  I have had the same experience.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

MarkT

I've had great success trolling a Rapala Xrap Magnum 20 for YT at Cedros Island. I'd guess the 30 would've done as well had we used them. I've got a couple 20's in my box for next time.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!