Old Jigs and what I remember

Started by Normslanding, April 29, 2013, 11:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Normslanding

As to casting a bone jig, why not. Tady copied a Baldys and they are plastic.

Brendan

Does "Baldy" refer to Bud's tackle shop at the base of the Newport pier? Not sure what it's called now, more of a beach toy store last time I went by the pier.
Brendan.

Normslanding

The name "Baldys" is a plastic double hooked trolling lure that was mostly used by commercial Albacore Jig boats. They were also used on sport boat jig lines. Most guys that trolled on sport boats did not troll Baldys. As to the connection to Newport I don't think so. I have talked to a few people and they to do not think so. Hope this helps.

Elrey

WOW.    I'M ALMOST SPEECHLESS.   JUST FOUND THIS THREAD, AS I DON'T VISIT THIS SITE OFTEN.  GREAT PIX OF JIGS AND THEIR HISTORY.  LIKE OTHERS WHO'VE COMMENTED, I COULD LISTEN AND SOAK IT UP FOR HOURS.  PLUS NEW KNOWLEDGE THAT YOU'VE SHARED!   I JUST GOT A "BANANA" JIG IN A PILE OF IRON I ACQUIRED.   WHAT A THRILL TO SEE YOU LISTED AND NAMED IT!. I JUST
THOUGHT THAT THEY WERE CRAP "HOMIES", WHAT I CALL THE PLETHORA OF HOMEMADE IRON THAT CAME FROM GARAGES ALL OVER SO CALIF.   I'M SURE SOME OF IT WORKED JUST FINE ON THE  BARRACUDA POPULATION BACK IN THE DAY.

THRILLED.   SO WHO MADE THE ORCAS?   BARTENDERS?   SECO?   HOMICIDES?

DID SALAS EVER MAKE A TREBLE J-POT?  TO THIS DAY THE DIMPLE WHERE THE SCREW WENT IS STILL VISIBLE ON RECENT PRODUCTION MODELS.