Making your own rubber lures using POP molds

Started by saltydog, April 18, 2013, 03:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltydog

First you will need a sheet of firm plastic and a ball of clay to make your lure body.

Then on the plastic make the lure you want out of clay.

Smooth the surface and add any details you desire with your finger and some water.

Then with some foam board and masking tape build a damn that will fit around the lure.

Make sure it is close fitting so as not to waste too much material.

Secure the mold damn to the plastic with masking tape so the POP does not leak out.

Next you will need POP a mixing cup and a spoon.

Mix the POP to directions and pour over clay image of your lure design.

Tap on the sides of the mold gently to get any air bubbles to move away from the lure and rise to the top.Set aside to dry.

Once dry remove the damn away from mold.

Once damn is removed and you have mold away from plastic turn rightside up on a cookie sheet covered with foil.

Gently remove clay from mold.

Now you have mold of the lure you want to make.

Either let dry for a couple of days or put in a 350 degree oven for a couple of hours to dry it out.

The next step is to coat the entire top of the mold and it's interior with some 5 min. epoxy to give the lure it's final finish.Then put up to dry overnight.

Then what you need is a glass measuring cup,worm plastic,mixing spoon,coloring,and your new mold.

Follow heating direction and mixing direction and watch it carefully everyones microwave cooks differently.I use 1/2 cup worm plastic heat it for two one minute cycles mixing after each one then add color and finish till the right pouring consistency is achieved.If you mess up pouring just wait for it to harden put back in and reheat and repour.

Once heated pour into mold.

Wait for plastic to harden.

Remove your lure from mold and place in cool water to cool for an hour.

Once cooled you now have something knowone else has,your own specialty lure.

Place in a jighead and go catch them.

I hope you guys get a lot from this tutorial.I have caught thousands of fish on my own lure and after you get some molds made up and get the hang of doing it it is a lot more cost effective.You can even re-melt your torn up ones to make new ones.
Here are a few examples and the possibilities are endless.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Bryan Young

Awesome.  I've always wondered how they are made.  I'm sure I could have youtubed it but this was much better.  Thank you.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Mandelstam

Can't blame the fish for wanting to eat that!

:)
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

bluefish69

In the Northeast the preferred colors are Red & Orange after that Yellow or Chartreuse or Green. Green is also a good color for Pollack.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

saltydog

For flounder,redfish and seatrout we use chartreuse,white,red,silver glitter,gold glitter,pink and glow in the dark on the coast.But on the crappie here around the house we use orange,white,silver glitter,gold glitter,chartreuse and pink.Bass seem to prefer darker greens and blacks.
MacArthur

wallacewt

good stuff salty
we got lead jigs,plastics
now onto sinker molds pls, ;)

saltydog

I will do a sinker mold tutorial in the near future.
MacArthur

wallacewt

Dominick

Salty has talent.  Those soft baits look great.  Salty sent me some of those colored jigs to use in Baja.  They are beautiful.  Thanks for the tutorial.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

saltydog

Just a couple of tagger reds on the slug bait made here. Homemade baits do work and don't break the bank.
45"

33"
MacArthur

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

redsetta

Nice work SD - it's a great tutorial and a cracker idea.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

raumati01

Waht are those fish mate and are the good eating?

Cone

Redfish (Red drum). The smaller fish are good eating. Nice fish. Thanks for the tutorial. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD