Stella 1000fb

Started by Trouteaser, April 26, 2013, 07:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trouteaser

Hi everyone. I own a Stella 1000fb and I am having some problems with the drag slipping. It is a great reel and 7-8 years old and has been used a lot, but I paid a lot of money for it. Shimano no longer services them so I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation of where I can get one fixed. Thanks for the help

Bryan Young

Please excuse me, but what do you mean that the drag is slipping?  That is what drags are supposed to do.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Trouteaser

Sorry, that didn't make a lot of sense did it?! I use it with a S-781 IMX and like to fish jigs with 2lb line. When I have the drag buttoned down where it should be and hook into a fish, it has been slipping like its being loosened and I have to feather the spool with my finger to land the fish. That's been going on for a year or so now and it's getting old. I am getting ready to go to eastern sierras and want to get it fixed before I go. I hope that description made it a little more clear. Thanks B

Are you saying that you can determine that the drag knob is actually loosening?  Have you changed out the drag washers sometime during the last 7 years?  First I would remove the drag components, check for oil contamination, degrease and install with Cal's drag grease.  Im not sure if they used felt washers in the older Stella's or Dartanium but after so many years Im sure a new set from Smooth Drag would help a lot.

Its more than a shame that shimano's lifetime warranty on their flagship Stella and Calais, didnt mean anything.

johndtuttle

Quote from: 0119 on April 27, 2013, 11:55:52 AM
Are you saying that you can determine that the drag knob is actually loosening?  Have you changed out the drag washers sometime during the last 7 years?  First I would remove the drag components, check for oil contamination, degrease and install with Cal's drag grease.  Im not sure if they used felt washers in the older Stella's or Dartanium but after so many years Im sure a new set from Smooth Drag would help a lot.

Its more than a shame that shimano's lifetime warranty on their flagship Stella and Calais, didnt mean anything.

Agree with the above. If you have never serviced the reel it probably needs a new set of drag washers. VERY unlikely that anything actually made of stainless on that reel has worn enough under such modest drag loads to require replacement.

Have you dissembled the drag?

best

Nessie Hunter

Braided line???? If so that might be slipping on the spool......

2# line is a very very low setting to start with, could have slight wear on drags or glazed and that could do it....
Recommend you go new Carbontex with light Cals grease......

Make sure the spool washers & spool are seated all the way down on shaft by pushing down firmly on spool.

Not much else that could do what you describe?????

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!