Penn 14/0 and 16/0 reel seats

Started by Shark Hunter, May 01, 2013, 04:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

I guess you are saying that the reel seat diameter is too small and that the clamp will not touch the reel seat when the nuts are fully tightened on the bolts.  If this is the "problem" then:

A. You could try building up the rod reel seat;
B.  You could try making another clamp that is not as high; or
C.  You could simply put in a spacer between the reel seat and the clamp.

Of the three options mentioned (there are more) the easiest would be to put in a spacer.  Simply cut a piece of PVC pipe (for example) to the appropriate length, then cut it so that there is a split running along its entire length, then slip it on to the rod reel seat, between it and the clamp.  When the clamp is tightened it will push the spacer so that it will eventually hit the rod reel seat.  You can continue to tighten the clamp until it presses very firmly and not allow slippage.  The inside diameter of the PCV pipe should be such that it is about the same as the outside diameter of the reel seat.  When you make the lengthwise cuts, there should be enough space so that only about half of it remains.  The finished product will look like a "C" shape and the opening of that "C" will be the side that faces the underside the reel.

PVC is not required, of course, but it's waterproof, durable, and (my favorite) cheap.  I've seen people use other things for spacers, such as glued-on felt/leather, wooden wedges, etc.  I may have also seen someone with a custom machined spacer made of brass/bronze once.  Whatever works, works.  No need to be fancy about it, but that's just my take because reels, to me, are only tools and not "works of art" (even though Sal seems to be changing that).
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Keta

Option #3, remove the jam nuts and see of the clamp tightens on the rod without them.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

I was just thinking, and Makule already answered my though.  I'd probably use a cut PVC pipe to fill in the gaps.  Cheap, easy to cut, does not corrode.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Lee's idea might work, but I believe your space is a little more than the thickness of the nuts. Let me know when you're leaving, I could make you one out of the 33-116 as I mentioned above, you won't find anything better. The pvc is a good idea, but I'm sure it will work itself lose during battle.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

I think I'd give Lee's idea a shot, and then throw a thin nylon lined (locking) stainless hex nut on top of the nut you removed under the clamp.
Worth a shot before you need Master Sal to come in gunz a blazin'! ;D
Good luck with the big boys!
Dom

conchydong

Maybe you can cut an appropriate sized piece of PVC  pipe along the springline to fill in the space between the clamp and reel seat.

UKChris

Yes the problem is very clear from the photo (and indeed your explanation). Some sort of packing looks to be the only easy option and if PVC doesn't seem to answer, you could get some aluminium tubing approximately the diameter of your reel seat.

Cut a few pieces only a little longer than the width of the saddle clamp - say an inch and a half - anf cut them in half lengthways to give you some C shaped pieces. This can be placed between the clamp and the reel seat where tightening the bolts will force the aluminium packing to conform to the shape of the space. It might scratch the reel seat though unless you open the C shape out a bit first if necessary.

A bit of a pain to do, but may be a bit stronger than PVC.

Just a thought - and good luck in getting a screamer on that reel!
Chris

Cameron Pitts

Hello everyone!  Newbie here.  I was googling answers about pairing this 160-200 Okiaya with my Penn 14/0 and found this thread.  I'm curious to know what the solution was for mounting your 14 to the Okiaya?  How did it all work out?  Would you recommend?  Thanks!

54bullseye

Darin
How bout taking a piece of inner tube cut neatly maybe even folded in half to take up more space between rod clamp and reel seat ? If you do it neatly it would hardly show and would serve the purpose. A piece of leather would work as well. Just a quick easy temporary fix.    John Taylor

Shark Hunter

A Member made me a custom clamp that fit perfect.
It was put in a pipe bender or something to take up the slack.
You realize this is a six year old thread, right?
Life is Good!

54bullseye

I didn't till now LOL !!!!!   John