Penn 14/0 and 16/0 reel seats

Started by Shark Hunter, May 01, 2013, 04:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I first want to say thank you to all the help and knowledge I have learned from this site. Alto Mare, Keta, Makule and of course Alan Tani. All your expertise and reel rebuilding tips and fishing secrets you have taught me are invaluable.
I am headed on my first Shark fishing trip next week and feel confident I am ready.
I am bringing a 9500 ss with a nice ugly stick. 6/0 with Tiburon frame. A 9/0 and a 12/0 spooled with 130 lb mono and some trick mouse trap shark rigs.
Hopefully I will have some nice pictures when I get back.
I am having trouble finding a rod that will fit my 14/0's and 16/0's. I have rods that the reels will fit in the seats, but when you try to bolt them down on the seat, there is a 1/4" gap. I have tried dealing with SOS and ebay rod builders on this matter, but they can't seem to help me.
I want a ready to rock roller rod rated to at least 130 lb. less than 6' for shore based Sharking with a harness and belt that I can just bolt up a penn 16/0 and fish with this monster! :P
Life is Good!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

UKChris

I'm not sure I understand you when you say the reel fits the seat on the rod but won't bolt down as there is a 1/4" gap. Do you mean the bolts are too short or the reel foot does not sit closely to the seat on the rod?

I suppose you might be able to get longer bolts (oddly, after reading your post I noticed that the bolts on one of my 12/0s are longer than on the other! Never noticed that before) - stainless from a marine hardware store if nowhere else - but if the reel foot is standing proud of the rod I guess it must be misshapen somewhat.

Shark Hunter

The reel foot fits in ok, then you tighten down the rings, but on the bottom, when you slide the rod clamp over the bolts. The reel seat on the rod is not big enough. It has nothing to do with bolt length.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

In that case, get shorter bolts or cut them and you will be good to go.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

The bolt length has nothing to do with my problem. I put the rod clamp on the reel, tighten the bolts all the way to the reels seat. There is a 1/4" gap between the rod clamp and the seat. I need a bigger diameter seat to mount a 14/0 or 16/0. :'(
Life is Good!

Makule

Please post some images.  I'm having difficulty visualizing the problem that you are having.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

You might be trying to mount the reel on the wrong rod :-\, your rod needs to be rated for 130 class or better for those.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Is the clamp hitting the reel frame?  Photos will help.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I'm glad to see some veterans trying to help a guy out!
This is the deal. I had this beast mounted to a okiaya 160 to 200 lb rated rod. I know these rods are cheap, but I figured I would give it a try. I looked in to some more expensive rods, but am afraid I will have the same problem. These are old school, and I want to keep it that way!javascript:void(0);
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

I can't figure out how to send pictures. A little help. I have them right here!
Life is Good!

Mandelstam

Upload pictures to a picture hosting site, click on the "Insert Image" button and paste the picture's URL between the IMG tags.

BTW, I think I finally understand your problem, but don't have an answer for you. Better wait for the experts.

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Alto Mare

Daron, I just checked some of my rods and yes I do have some that only measure 1", most of the others measure 1 1/2".
You could make a shim in the same shape of your rod clamp for the bottom side of your rod, or if you happen to have a 33-116 you could shape it to fit. You will need a hammer and something to protect the finish, unless you don't care about looks :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Robert Janssen

there ya go

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!