TLD Star 15/30 drag upgrade problem.

Started by GF714, February 10, 2010, 02:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GF714

Attempted to upgrade the drags with a set of new Carbontex drag set and grease (Cals) but now the handle is hard to turn.  I went over the drags 4 different times to make sure everything is lined up and everything looked good but everytime I screw down the right side plate screws (key # 81) the handle was tight and difficult to turn.  I notice key washer F (key #93) would rub against the inside of the right side plate.  I put back the old drag set and everything would be fine.  Is this normal, should I give it time to break in the new Carbotex drags so that it would compress and give enough clearance between key washer F and the inside of the right side plate?  Please advise. 

I measured the thickness of the new 4 Carbotex drags 4.10mm and compared it to the old drag set 3.93mm.  Thanks. 

alantani

there should be plenty of room.  the penn washers i use stack up higher that that.  i ask because this was the case on another board, but did you remove all of the other washers?  could you possibly have left one of the stock washers in the stack?  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

GF714

I had removed all the old stock washers, went over the drags 4 times to make sure everything was lined up and in the correct order, metal and all new washers were installed.  If I left out the drive shaft washer (key # 100) everything work good but i can not leave that out.  I'll go over the drag again this weekend to see what I can figure out.  Thanks Alan.

alantani

the total height of the penn drag washers should be 4.12 to 4.18mm.  carbontex should fit easily!  i can send you a set of penn washers?  you could also dremmel out the inside of the side plate a little to make more room.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

GF714

Thanks Alan, I'll go over the drag again this weekend, may try using the dremmel on the inside side plate.  Please send me a set of the penn washers, I'll pm you my contact information.