Trinidad 30 drag

Started by borntofish, February 05, 2010, 09:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

borntofish

My drag has gone sticky on my Trinidad 30 (which tends to happen with the stock Dartanium washers). I know Alan will say go greased carbonex, but they cost AUD 46 as an aftermarket kit and I'm feeling a bit stingy. So my questions are:

- Do Shimano supply carbon fibre washers (might be cheaper)

- Can the dartanium washers be greased

- Would I be better off just cleaning the dartanium washers and re-installing them?

BigT

G'day borntofish.  

Smoooothdrag has a set of carbontex washers for the Trinidad 30 for US$18.  I've been ordering a few things from them (I'm on the Gold Coast) and they're fantastic. Delivery is fast (last order arrived in about 6 or 7 working days) and postage cost is negligible. Get in touch with them... Dawn (the owner) is active on these boards.

http://www.smoothdrag.com/

Cheers, BigT
more of my rebuilds on
http://www.fishraider.com.au

borntofish

Thanks for that Big T. Certainly better than getting new dartanium washers - last time I checked they were $12 each! They do seem to come good if you clean them with solvent though.

It sounds like I will get more drag pressure with the carbonex washers so it might be worth the upgrade.

alantani

so, is $46 AUD the going rate out there for carbontex?   :o
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

borntofish

I checked two stores at that was the price or nearabouts (for that model). One store is actually listed on the smoothdrag site as a distributor! So if smoothdrag sells them for USD 18 they must be adding a considerable mark up.

borntofish

A further note I broke the top datarnium washer trying to get it out. If I have to pay $12 for a replacement I might as well order a set of carbontex washers.  One problem though though is the email address of Smooothdrag doesn't appear to be working. A long distance phone call would negate the saving I expect.

PS Alan, the clutch roller bearing is a bit rusty, but still works. Should I replace it? I am only using 30lb mono.

BigT

Yes, Alan... that's about it.  There's a carefully nurtured 'aura of scarcity' around this sort of after market product locally.

Better prices, infinitely better availability and waaaaay better service from Smooooth Drag, Boca and Mike's Reel Repair (haven't tried Penn Parts yet) than from any domestic after market supplier in Australia.  Sad, isn't it. I just had some replacement bearings arrive for a small Daiwa reel from them locally, that took about 8 weeks to arrive.  My last Boca order took 10 days.

I just confirmed another order with Dawn yesterday.  The reward for running a good business is loyalty!  The reward for running a poor business in this age of internet commerce, is everyone finds out about it. ;D

Cheers, Slinky
more of my rebuilds on

borntofish

How did you contact Dawn, BigT? Their email doesn't seem to be working (there is a note to this effect on their webpage).

alantani

keep trying.  it's a one woman operation.  she get's busy sometimes.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

borntofish

I think it is a technical problem, Alan. I am getting an error message.

Actually I found another site which has them. They quote $15.79 for carbontex to suit the Trinidads!

http://www.johnnyspond.com/smooth-drag-reel-washers.html

PS: do you think I should replace the slightly rusty clutch bearing?

BigT

I'd imagine it's just temporary... I was e-mailing back and forth with Dawn as recently as 48 hours ago. It's definitely worth dealing with her... amazingly helpful doing some 'washer matching' for me over and above the standard sets I was ordering.  Maybe I tired her out???

Cheers, BigT
more of my rebuilds on

Keta

borntofish,
If the rust is on the surface and not on the rollers you can clean it up and re use it.  I usually replace them though.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RobB

Hi Born To Fish,
                     an option that hasn't been canvassed here is Jack Erskine's operation in Cairns. Jack
stocks and sells carbontex and Cal's grease. Its been some time since I last purchased from him
but from what I recall his prices are certainly better than your local suppliers. I have upgraded the drags
on all my overheads and spinners as well through, Jack and have no complaints with either price or service.
Just google Jack's name and you'll find his website, prices and products should be listed on there, see if they suit. When I was on a charter last year at the Swains, Jacks set up helped me nail a 15 kg spaniard on mono with a mono leader. I had a Thunnus 16000 which has only three washers with pathetic surface area so getting the most out of it is important. I can't recommend the change enough.

borntofish

Actually Dawn of smoothdrag got in touch with me via email the other day so I was able to place an order by replying to it. The other US site I put up doesn't appear to be active.

Also it was Jack Erskines quote of AUD 46 that I mentioned earlier. Smooothdrag sells the same washers for USD 18 - looks like there is some profiteering going on!